Chapter Twenty-One

“After all, I don’t want to throw away our perfect life do I?”

And in two months my perfect life was one step closer to being completed, except this step came too early.

Clara walked into the house, unannounced as usual. Her blonde hair hung around her face in disordered chaos and she had dark bags under her usually bright eyes. She looked as if she hadn’t slept in days. She threw herself down in one of the kitchen chairs and dropped her head onto the table.

“It’s useless, Eri. Abel won’t budge an inch. Isaac has done all he can. Abel makes excuse after excuse. I don’t know what to do anymore. He won’t even speak to us anymore. He’s got lawyers speaking for him.” Clara grumbled.

“Oh,” I whispered, continuing to cut the vegetables that rested on the counter before me. I gripped the hilt of the knife harder, trying to keep my hands from shaking so violently.

“Oh? Is that all you have to say? He’s ruining your life Erica!” Clara shouted, whirling around toward me.

My shoulders began to shake as sobs racked my body. I dropped the knife and it clattered to the floor. Pressing my fists to my mouth I tried to repress the gasping breaths that threatened to explode from my lips.

“What’s wrong, Erica? I’m sorry if I sound harsh, but it’s the truth darling.” Clara insisted.

I shook my head and slowly turned to face her. “It doesn’t matter now, Clara. I’ve ruined it. I’ve ruined everything.”

Clara stood and rested her hands on my shoulders. “Erica, darling, there is nothing you’ve that could ruin this for you. You deserve to be happy.”

I tore away and gripped the edge of the counter, my nails leaving small indentations in the wood. “You don’t understand, Clara. I have ruined everything. I’ve taken any chance of Ethan and I being happy and tossed them into the ocean.”

“Well then go on!” Clara snapped, “Tell me what this horrible thing you’ve done is? Have you murdered the president in his sleep? Have you given away the secrets of our military? Have you had an affair with the king of England? I think not! Whatever it is that you think is so awful is not going to be enough to ruin your happiness with Ethan!”

“I’m pregnant.” I muttered.

“Except that,” Clara sighed. “Are you certain?”

I nodded and sat down at the table. “I wasn’t at first, but I went into the city to see a doctor this morning. He’s confirmed it.”

Clara covered her face with her hands, muffling an animalistic shriek of rage. “It’s all be for nothing! Damn you, Ethan Hastings, damn you!”

“Don’t damn him!” I ordered. “This is just as much my fault as it is his.”