Chapter Twenty

“Sleep Eri,”

But I didn’t sleep, at least that was how I felt when I awoke the next morning. All of the previous night I had been locked back in that house with Abel. He’d been stalking toward me, his eyes burning with hate, rage, and lust. Except this time, there was no Ethan to save me.

I heard voices in the kitchen, arguing in a loud whisper. I sat up as I listened.

“He can’t not annual the marriage!” Ethan said, his voice growing louder. He paused for a moment and then continued, “Don’t you know anyone who can help us?”

Clara sighed and answered, “Remember that beau I mentioned? He’s a lawyer. He says that he can help you, but it’s going to take awhile.”

“Why?” Ethan shouted, not bothering to quiet himself.

“Because,” Clara snapped, equally annoyed, “Abel won’t admit that they didn’t consummate their marriage. We can’t say that she was forced into it to have it annulled because she agreed to it on the altar.”

“But can’t we explain that she was forced to say yes?” Ethan questioned, his voice pleading now.

“We could, but we would need the officer to tell the judge that. I tried to find him, but he already left the city.” Clara explained.

I climbed out of bed and left the room, making sure that they could hear my footsteps. I shuffled into the kitchen and smiled weakly at them both. “Is there any other way?”

Clara chewed on her fingernail. “Not that we can see. Because you and Abel don’t live together it might be enough to convince the judge, but that’s a leap of faith. It would be best if he would just admit that you two didn’t consummate the marriage.”

I groaned and sat down in a chair. I examined the dark bruises on my arms. The cuts had scabbed over, but were still raw and sore. “What about this? He tried to rape me!”

“It’s not rape when you’re married,” Ethan muttered, miserably.

“Of course it is,” I insisted, holding out my arms toward him. “Do you think I wanted this?”

“It’s not me, it’s the law.” Ethan said through gritted teeth. I cast my eyes downward and pushed the sleeves of my nightgown over my arms. I knew how bad Ethan felt about what had happened.

“The way Abel tells it, you should be pregnant. We can use that. All we have to do is wait a few months and prove that you aren’t. Then we can get this annulled.” Clara chimed, smiling broadly.

Ethan and I exchanged glances.

“What was that for?” Clara demanded, her eyes narrowing at us.

“You know what for,” I muttered. “What about two nights ago? What if—“ I trailed off, not wanting to admit that Ethan  and I could have ruined our chances together by spending the night in each other’s arms.

“Shit,” Clara cursed, sitting down at the table. She looked confused and defeated. “If you end up pregnant, Abel will have his proof. There isn’t a way to tell who’s baby it is, especially because they’re related.”

I dropped my head onto the table and began to cry. “This is all my fault.”

“Erica, it isn’t your fault.” Ethan assured me, resting a hand on your shoulder. “This is my fault. I should have let you in on the plan.”

“Yes you should have,” I whimpered, my cheek still resting on the wood.

Clara stood up and went to the window. “It’s no use mopping about. I’m doing all I can to get this done, but until then you two should enjoy this place.”