Chapter Nineteen

“I’m still yours,”

I awoke to a soft jarring of my shoulder. I opened my eyes, slowly, taking in my surroundings. I was in a carriage and the door was hanging open. Soft sunshine streamed into the wooden box, warming my skin. The wind, however, was still cold from the thunderstorm last night. I shivered and drew Ethan’s coat tighter around me.

“Don’t move too much,” Clara whispered, stroking my hair. “You’re pretty beat up, darling.”

I rolled my head towards her, wincing at the pain in my neck. “Clara?” Tears brimmed in my eyes as last night came flooding back to me. I glanced down at my hands, taking in the dirty cuts.

Clara wrapped her arms around my shoulders, cooing in my ear like a mother. “It’s alright, darling, everything is alright.”

“Where are we? What happened?” I whimpered, pressing myself closer to her thin body. I was so cold.

“We’re somewhere very special,” Clara said, smiling. “Last night is over, and that’s all that matters.”

I raised my head and met her blue eyes. “Please tell me what happened.” I begged.

Clara nodded and sighed, “I suppose I would want to know as well.

“After our failed attempt at stopping the wedding Ethan was ready to give up. But, I noticed that officer in the back of the church. I’d seen you looking at him, so I figured there was something important about him. I told Ethan, and he questioned the man. He told us everything.

“We set out after you as soon as we saw Abel drag you into the carriage. We were on foot for awhile, until we could convince an elderly farmer to loan us his carriage. The storm slowed us down even further.

“When we arrived we saw the trail he’d left dragging you into the house. There was blood smeared all over the porch, I was so certain he’d killed you. Then we heard all the noise from the bedroom. Ethan practically ripped the door from the hinges!”

“You saved me, all of you.” I told her, hoping I sounded as appreciative as I was.

“After you passed out we carried you out to the carriage. Ethan only let Abel go on his word that he would get the marriage annulled. He’s supposed to sent Adler over with the papers tomorrow afternoon.” Clara informed me.

“And where exactly are we?” I asked again. I slipped my arms inside the sleeves of Ethan’s jacket. I did up the buttons, making a sort of dress out of it.

“Ethan will have to tell you that,” Clara giggled, a large smile spreading across her pretty face. She ducked out of the carriage and extended her hand to help me down. Shakily, I climbed out of the carriage. My bare feet landed in the grass, still damp from the storm.

We were standing on two acres of green grass. The carriage was resting on overgrown wagon tracks. There was a plot of land that looked as if it had once been used for farming. It wasn’t a large plot, but it was enough to support a family. Behind the plot of land was a small barn. It was rundown, and needed repairs, but it was sturdy enough. Opposite both of these was a small, faded house. The front of the house was taken up mostly by a veranda. It was a simple home, nothing compared to the Hastings’ Estate, but it was homey. That was something that the estate could never manage.

The door to the small house opened and Ethan stepped out onto the veranda. He brushed his forehead with a handkerchief. He looked exhausted.

“Ethan,” Clara called, “Eri is awake.”

Ethan looked over to us and smiled broadly. He stepped onto the weed covered sidewalk and strode to the carriage. He wrapped his arms around me and lifted me into the air, giving me a long kiss. For once, Clara didn’t make a scene.