Chapter 2: Alexander

I watched as the pretty but useless glass figurine flew across the room and then shattered as it collided with the wall in front of me.

Unfortunately, it did absolutely nothing to sate my anger. I seethed silently, resting my palms on the corners of my desk, trying to control my rapid breathing. Waves and waves of emotion washed over me, making me grip the desk firmer for I was afraid I would drown in them. Why did all these stupid, insane, absolutely ridiculous things have to happen to me?

Life has it out for me, I swear.

In front of me, my best friend and confidante sat, unfazed by my rage, used to it after so many years. He sighed, pushing his hair back before reaching for the intercom on my desk.

"Minns, please send someone in to clean the mess in the room."

"The thing which I heard breaking against the wall or my boss?" A bubbly, cheerful voice came in response, making me grin despite my situation. I sat down on my chair and threw my head back on the chair, utterly and completely exhausted and it wasn't even eleven in the morning yet.

"The mess on the floor, Minnie. Thanks." Marcus laughed heartily, his booming laugh echoing in my cabin as I fought off another smile. These two goofs are the only people keeping me sane.

"Right away!" The intercom click which followed, signified that the conversation was over.

Marcus, a corporate lawyer by profession, was one of my oldest friends. I have practically known him all my life. We were together in the same school and college. Minnie was Marcus's younger sister. She was only twenty and was doing a temporary job as my secretary because my middle-aged assistant had just busted a hip after slipping in the bathroom. After giving her a few months' paid leave because she deserved it for her hard-work, I was stuck in a jam. Marcus recommended his sister for this opening and I had agreed.

Minnie was doing a pretty amazing job and I had offered her permanent employment, but she had refused as she wanted to do fashion designing from a reputed college. She had taken a break this year because she had wanted to try new things.

"You do know breaking things is not going to help you at all." Marcus stated as he relaxed in the plush black chair. Raising a hand, he pushed his already gelled back blond hair back again, making me roll my eyes. That guy was obsessed over his hair. He spent over four hours every day fixing that overgrown mess he calls a hairstyle.

"I have to get out of that inane contract somehow, Marc. Never in a million years did I think I will ever be in this situation." I covered my face with my hands, the white shirt I had worn in the morning wrinkling at the elbows.

"Mrs. and Mr. K sure know how to keep things interesting." Marc said as he sipped his Iced Tea, playing with the straw in thought. "Never a dull moment in the Kimball family!" He cheered as I threw him a look.

"Sure, they gave birth to me, raised me, made me the man I am today, and I owe a lot to them, but I am my own person also! Why the hell do my parents want to behave like the aristocracy of the 19th century? They want to play dress-up? There are places like that!" I threw my hands up to the ceiling in sheer frustration, "How do they even get such ideas?"

Marcus shook his head. "I showed the contract to my colleagues. Paid them a great deal of money to keep it under wraps, too. It's...tight. Your father made a seriously good contract. As a lawyer, I am pretty impressed---" he said.

"—Although as a friend I am pretty pissed too." He added hastily as he saw my nasty glare.

There was silence for a while. When someone knocked on the door, I told the person to enter. The cleaning guy did his job and was out of my office in less than two minutes.

I sighed, pushing all the braincells in my brain to think of a way out. As I paced the floor of my office feeling restless again, I couldn't help but feel agitated. I felt like a caged animal, desperate for a way out. I moved my hand across my short brown hair, almost having the urge of pulling them out.

"Is there any loophole in the contract which you think we may be able to exploit?"

"There is no loophole they have found as of yet, unless you want to marry someone else." He laughed.

I rolled my eyes.

It's like escaping the fire pan to jump in the fire.

"Don't worry Alex." Marcus said standing up. He grabbed his coat from the back of his chair and turned around to face me. "I am trying my level best. All the best lawyers are with me. We will find a way."

"Do it fast."

As he turned around to leave, he glanced back as if he had remembered something. "But, you know, at least Stella is quite a looker." He shrugged.

Getting a mental picture of Stella De'LaCourt, I shuddered.

With dyed dirty-blonde hair and dark blue eyes, she might be beautiful, sexy, but not to me. To me, a person's personality matters. I am kind of a person who thinks intelligence is sexier than looks. But from what I had seen and heard so far, she was just a crabby and spoiled girl who tries to flaunt herself and her money every chance she gets.

Starting fights and then watching from the sidelines is her motto. She is basically a mess trying to swim through her life on her father's money. It's not like I haven't met her before, I have met her on so many occasions that even I have lost count. Not to mention, she is just eighteen years old. The thought of what kind of father agrees that his daughter should forcefully marry a guy who is ten years older than her as a business arrangement was messing with my mind.

Steven, Stella's father is one of our business partners and has a joint venture with us. His company provides us with the raw materials and ours makes the medicines. These medicines we manufacture vary from ones used in curing coughing to those who are trying to battle cancer. We make quite a profit but the main goal of my grand-father and then my father and then eventually mine was to help the sick people and our company is one way to do that. I was extremely proud of the work I did.

Although, I have no idea how my parents and Steven thought that it would strengthen the 'bonds between the companies' if Stella and I get married.

It's utter crap.

Who even thinks like that anymore?

"She is the female version of the Devil, Marc. Reincarnated."

Marcus laughed again as he took my leave.

I sighed as I sat down on my chair again, swiveling around and crossing my legs to see the beautiful New-York cityscape from my sixty-seventh-floor bulletproof windows.

I thought about the contract again as my head began to pound in pain. According to the contract drafted, the marriage is supposed to be held in four months and the engagement in one month.

There is no time for me to talk to my parents about this. I just knew I needed to get out of this. Now.

Suddenly, jumping in the fire didn't sound so bad.

---
IG, FB, Whatsapp is down, so I updated. 
:)

-A