Chapter 4

Austin's POV

Do you ever have those moments where something so horrible is happening, and you feel like you're not really there? Like you're an onlooker who just...speculates. Like this isn't happening to you, because shit like this only happened in movies and books.

"Don't be sorry. Please don't be sorry. It's not your fault." She opened her eyes, looking into mine.

My best friend is a victim of abuse.

I couldn't help it. Tears spilled down my cheeks and I bit my lip, hard.

"Don't cry." Abby said as tears started flowing out of her eyes, too. She brought her hands up and wiped the salty tears off my cheeks.

I just shook my head and put her down, letting her lean against my shoulder. It was a disgustingly bright day, sunlight bursting through the windows.

I wanted it to rain.

I wanted the weather and everything else in the world to feel the same pain as Abby. I wanted everyone to know what she was going through.

She shouldn't have to go through with it alone.

But she wasn't alone. She had me.

And I swear: As of right now, I will do everything in my power to protect this girl.

I silently got up and got the first aid kit again, and bandaged her new cuts.

"How do you do it?" I asked, wrapping up her legs.

"Do what?" Abby replied, leaning against the wall, closing her eyes, legs in my lap.

"How are you so strong? On the outside, you smile and laugh as if nothing's wrong. But everything's wrong. Nothing in your world is going good." I crinkled my eyebrows together.

She smiled sarcastically. "You know what they say. Hide your problems behind a smile."

"You shouldn't have to. Hide your problems, I mean." I played with the edge of her pants, her legs still in my lap. I had finished treating her wounds, and we were lounging in her room. Her father had gone out somewhere to do who knows what.

Once the front door slammed closed, Abby had audibly taken a sigh of relief, and she had stopped shaking. We were on the bed now, which was pushed into a corner. She was leaning against one wall and I was leaning against the one to the left of it.

"Whatever. Let's stop talking about it, please." She begged. I smiled.

"Alright. What do you want to do?"

"Let's watch a movie!" Abby brightened, getting out her laptop. I got out her favorite movie and popped the CD into her laptop, and Abby shut the blinds so the room was dark. We snuggled up together under blankets and watched the movie.

It was hilarious - and Abby laughed so hard I couldn't help but laugh just because she was.

"I really do care about you, Abs."

"I know." Abby smiled teasingly back. I smirked.

"When are you going to tell the others?" I questioned.

Abby's answer was quick and sharp. "Never."

She looked at me, her blue eyes demanding. "You won't tell them, will you?"

"Why won't you tell them?"

"It'll just change everything. I want things in my life to stay the same. As normal as possible. Promise you won't tell." She held out her pinky. I grinned at her childish ways.

I hooked pinkies with her anyways, and muttered out a promise. We connected pinkies, then pressed our thumbs together, and twirled our hands around to make a heart.

We laughed at the silly tradition we did since we were little.

"You should probably get going." Abby sighed. I frowned.

"I want to stay."

"You don't have to. Go home and shower, and stuff. I'll see you tomorrow."

"But what if your dad tries to...?"

"He usually calms down after a while. It's okay, Austin. Really." Abby smiled reassuringly, and it was a genuine smile.

"Alright. Call me if you need anything. Really."

"Will do!" Abby waved at me, and I walked out of her house. I heard her door click shut.

Little did I know that as soon I turned my back on her, my best friend dropped her fake smile and the tears that had hidden themselves for so long started escaping.