No Where Else To Go

The rest of the weekend just kind of blew by in a blur. Jess hadn't seen or heard from Hunter in that time. He had stopped by at some point on Saturday to drop off her cell phone though. Cece had pulled her aside before dinner that night to give it to her.

"I believe this belongs to you." She said pulling Jess' cell from her back pocket and handing it over. "Why did Hunter have it? If you don't mind me asking."

"Lily and I went to a party last night and we both got really drunk. Me more so than her. Hunter picked us up and instead of causing a whole bunch of unnecessary drama - since I was passed out - he took me to Jay's house. We both stayed in the studio apartment above his garage. I forgot it there this morning." Jess decided that it was best to give Cece the whole rundown at once so she could get on with her night.

Cece hadn't pried her for more information, she had just nodded and led the way to the dining room.

Now it was another Monday morning.

The start of a new week.

Jess wasn't looking forward to it.

She stood in front of full length mirror attached to the wall, staring at her reflection. Jess took in the denim cut-offs and plain fitted black tee she was wearing. She knew most of the guys - and girls - in school would have something to say about it. But, quite frankly she didn't care. The Arizona heat knew no bounds and it was already nearing a hundred degrees outside.

Jess wasn't sure what to expect once she got to school. She had no idea what was being said about her since she hadn't turned on her phone or checked any kind of social media all weekend. She'd deal with whatever was thrown her way once it happened. No use in dwelling about it before she even left the house.

The one thing she was dreading? Dealing with her psychotic best friend. Lily had been trying to get ahold of her since Saturday evening. The crazy girl had even showed up at her house, she'd had to get Cece to cover for her.

With a shake of her head, Jess grabbed her school bag from her desk and headed out.

Since she had woken up later than she usually did on a school day, everyone else was already gone.

Without bothering to make a pit stop in the kitchen, Jess was out the door and in her car in 30 seconds flat. The faster she got to school, the faster she could get Lily's interrogation out of the way.

~*~

The parking lot was nearly half full when she pulled into her usual spot. It was quickly filling up though.

As soon as she was out of the car, Jess spotted Lily leaning against the wall next to the front doors.

This should be a good one. She thought as she took in the expression on Lily's face. The girl did not look happy at all. She looked down right pissed.

Before Jess took her first step Lily saw her and was marching down the steps and across the lawn.

"You've got a lot of explaining to do missy!" Said Lily, her hands fisting on her hips as she came to a stop. "First, you can start by telling me why the heck you didn't call me all weekend. Then explain why you were dodging me when I came to your house on Saturday."

Jess couldn't stop the giggle that escaped her. Even though Lily looked ready to slap her into the middle of next week, she looked adorable.

"This isn't funny!" Lily grumbled, stomping her foot like a petulant two year old who didn't get her way. "I was going out of my ever loving mind worrying about you, dammit!"

"I'm sorry." Jess laughed "I didn't have my phone til that afternoon and I wasn't up for conversation. I wasn't trying to dodge you either, I just had some things I needed to work through."