Chapter 19 - Break Free

Avril was lying on the ground in front of Allison, completely still. Allison glanced down, a smile on her face at the sight. "Oh, we kind of had a disagreement." She said, giggling. I gritted my teeth, picking at the rope behind my back and trying my hardest to untie it. My wrists were burning and as I felt a warm liquid drip down my arm, I knew I was bleeding. "Vince, Vince, Vince." She said, not noticing me trying to untie my hands and taking a moment to walk around Avril. It was almost like admiration, like she was proud of what she had done. "Looks like our little Avril here isn't conscious. That's too bad." She said.

Finally I had managed to untie my hands, not saying anything as I slowly let the rope fall to the ground behind me. I walked up to her, trying my hardest not to look at Avril. I knew I would break seeing her in that state. I had already been through it once, the almost losing her. I don't know what I'd do if I held her like that in my arms again. I wouldn't be able to take it. Allison stopped walking, turning to face me. "Was it worth it?" She asked and I wrinkled my eyebrows, not understanding much of what she was asking me. "Was what worth it?" I asked and she walked forward, meeting my eyes. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Avril move. Her arm moved and when I glanced at her face, she looked at me, holding her finger to her mouth. I focused my vision back onto Allison quickly, not wanting her to see what I just saw. Avril was still alive. She lied there to throw Allison off and whatever she was planning to do, I was hoping it worked.

"Was killing my brother worth this?" She asked me again and I sighed, holding my now untied hands still behind my back. "If I could bring him back, I would only kill him again. So I'm going to go with yes. It was worth it." Allison looked about ready to say something but before she could, Avril charged off of the ground and swung something at her. I ducked, trying to look and see what it was. Avril was holding a metal bar. Where she had gotten it from was beyond me. Allison had heard her, spinning around quickly and ducking before the bar could actually hit her. I moved out of the way, aware that this one wasn't my fight. Avril needed this, she needed to let the built in anger out. Allison had pulled the final straw and I knew that this was it.

"Why. Won't. You. DIE!?" Allison shouted, ducking her head down as she charged at Avril. Avril swung again, this time making contact with her side and knocking her over. "I could ask you the same thing." She grunted, dropping the bar and getting on top of Allison. Before Allison could push her off, Avril balled her hand in a fist and punched her in the face. "That's for hurting Vince." She said and right after she threw another punch, causing blood to spill from her nose. "That one is for the mess you pulled with John." She said and then she threw another. "That's for being a fake friend." She said, her voice rising as she threw yet another punch. "That's for thinking you could kill me." She said and then she started throwing one punch after the other. Avril's fists were flying so fast I couldn't keep up anymore. And Allison, she wasn't even fighting back. She was lying there, blood rushing from every opening in her face and I knew I needed to pull Avril off of her. I could live with what I did to John, but if Avril killed Allison, she'd never be able to live with that. She wasn't built to kill. She was built to fight. She was built to survive.

I rushed over to her, grabbing her by the waist and trying to pull her off but her legs were wrapped securely around Allison's waist. "No Vince!" She screamed. "She wanted to kill me! She wanted me dead!" I looked at her face, taking her hands and pulling them up to her chest. She was shaking all over, tears flooding down her face and mixing in with the drops of blood on her face. "Avril, baby please think about this." I begged and she shook her head. "Vince...." She said but she couldn't get out much else before the sobs started. "Avril." I said, finally being able to pull her off of Allison and into my arms so I could hold her. So I could comfort and console her. "She tried to kill me Vince." She said and I nodded, resting my head on top of hers and feeling myself begin to tear up as well. I glanced back over to Allison and she was as limp as ever. I didn't know whether or not she was breathing but I didn't care. All I cared about was Avril right now. She was all I was ever going to care about.

"We have to go." I said. Avril nodded, taking her head away from my chest and looking me in the eyes. "Okay." She said, holding onto me as she stood. I waited for her to get up before standing as well. I grabbed her hand, walking us to the door. Avril was still sobbing and I was trying my hardest go remain calm. When we opened the door and walked out, I looked around, trying to figure out where we were. Allison had us inside an abandoned house on a street I barely recognized. My phone was gone and as I looked down at Avril, she didn't appear to have hers either. We walked up the street, hand in hand without looking back.

"Do you guys need some help?" I looked up to meet the brown eyes of a tall man, worry etched on his face. He was looking at us like we were crazy. "We need a phone. Someone just tried to kill us." I managed to say, feeling my body grow tired. I needed rest and I could only imagine what Avril was feeling like right now. The man nodded eagerly, pulling out his phone and handing it to me. I took it, my fingers shaking as I dialed those three numbers once again. I glanced from the man to Avril before placing the phone to my ear.

"911, What's your emergency?" I sighed in relief at the sound of the operator's voice. Thank God this was over.