Chapter 15

Chapter 15

JULES’ POV

Everything seemed to freeze as we all waited for Winnie to read us what was on her computer screen.

"Apparently someone rented a docking spot at the New Haven Marina under the name Jessica Gallagher."

I didn't realize I had been holding my breath until I let it out. I turned to look at Spike. His back was to me, he was facing the picture-covered wall, staring at the surveillance photos of Rian.

"Winnie, call the Marina and check to see if the boat is still there. I'm going to get some uni's down to the docks, to keep an eye out for him and the boat.”

“Got it Sarge.”

Greg made the call to the nearest precint, and then we were on the move again, making the journey across town to the marina.

RIAN’S POV

He had knocked me unconscious after my second escape attempt. My first took place shortly after we had exited the hotel. I tried to make a run for it, but then the gun he had been holding under his jacket was placed against my temple.

“Try it again and I will shoot you.”

The second time I tried to grab his gun, in retaliation he knocked me unconscious. When I opened my eyes I found myself in a wood room. The walls were wood and I felt a rocking motion. I winced as I sat up, there was a bed that took up about half the room, a closet, and two closed doors on opposite sides of the room. I was about to open one door, when the other one opened. Kevin Jackson, a person whom, until recently I thought was perfectly sane, stepped into the room. I stepped away from the door, so I didn’t trap myself between him and the wall.

“What do you want?” I practically spat at him, biting my tongue almost as soon as the words left my mouth.

“Jessica, you can stop pretending now.”

Jessica, Jessica… Why did that name sound familiar  

“Who’s Jessica?”

“I know you had to go into witness protection, but I found you. It’s okay, we can be together now. You don’t have to pretend you’re in love with that pretentious alpha-male police officer.”

“Kevin, I don’t know what’s going on with you, but you need to let me go.”

“STOP LYING JESSICA!” he screamed, slamming his hand against the door.

I jumped a little bit.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to yell. I just can’t believe you won’t trust me.”

“Kevin, if you let me go I will trust you.”

“You know I can’t do that Jess.”

“Please Kevin.”

“NO!” He yelled, slamming the door behind him.

I waited at least a minute before trying the handle of the door Kevin had slammed. The handle gave way, and the door opened slowly without a sound revealing a short hallway. I slid off my heels, laying them on the bed so I could move down the hallway silently.  As I moved I felt, more than heard, a low rumble beneath my feet; almost like an engine.  At the end of the hallway were a few steps going up, and as I climbed them gingerly I heard a muffled voice through the walls. I opened the door, only to come face to face with a panicked-looking Kevin.

“Why are they here? You told him you don’t love him.”

I tried to bolt, but I came to the edge and found out we were on a boat, thanks to the feet of water separating me from the dock.