Chapter 6: The Break In

Chapter 6:

RIAN'S POV

I gulped as my mind sped through the many excuses. A practical joke? Props for a school play? Props for Halloween? The truth?

"I...I.."

"Is someone stalking you?" Spike asked, cutting right to the chase, his brown eyes cutting right through me.

"I don't know." I answered truthfully.

"Well what are these?" He looked really worried.

"Someone has been leaving these letters on my doorstep ok? I don't know anything else."

“You don’t know?! Someone has been threatening you and you couldn’t even tell me?!”

I stared at him in shock, why was he getting mad at me? He must’ve seen my anger at being yelled at and quickly backtracked.

"I'm sorry Rian. I'm just worried."

"I know ok?” I said sighing, leaning against the counter.  “We'll talk about it later? Jules is expecting us."

"Yeah. Okay." He wrapped an arm around me and pressed a kiss to my forehead. “But we will definitely be talking later.”

I grabbed the potato salad from the fridge and locked up the house behind me.

“Do you want to drive?” He asked standing in front of our two cars, trying to figure out which one we would be taking,

“I don’t need to.”

“Okay, let’s take my car.” He said, starting towards the driver’s side. I waited for him to unlock the passenger door and then slid into the seat next to his.

We were in the car, about halfway to Jules’ house when Spike brought it up.

"Rian?"

"Hmm?" I was looking out of the passenger window and mouthing along to song lyrics on the radio.

"What are we?"

“Human beings?” I asked, not really understanding the question.

He burst out laughing so hard I thought we were going to crash. I sat in the seat next to him staring at him, my brain had not yet realized what he had asked.

Once he had calmed down he started again.

“No, Rian. I meant, what’s our relationship?”

That caught me off guard. I hadn’t thought about it to be honest. I had kind of assumed we were dating already.

"I..." I was searching for the right answer when he blurted out

"I want to be exclusive"

"I thought we already were?" I smiled, turning to look at Spike.

He reached over to grab my hand as we came to a stop at a red light, staring directly at me.

“Then I want to make it official. We are dating. You are my girlfriend. That means I can kill anyone who looks at you for too long, and I can call and text you all the time.”

“Pretty steep terms.” I said, trying to keep a straight face. “I guess I don’t really have another option though…”

He leaned forwards, catching me by surprise and kissing me across the seats, before the honking of horns brought us back to the real world.

“It’s green! go! go!” I said, laughing as we made it across the intersection right as the light turned yellow, thoroughly pissing off the commuters behind us. We laughed as we continued to drive and I saw, out of the corner of my eye, the huge smile that stretched across his face.