Chapter 3: Jeni's

Chapter 3:

RIAN'S POV

           Tell me you need me. You better believe me when I say that you are my weakness. You are my weakness and you get me ev-

"Ow!" I exclaimed as I slammed my hand down onto my alarm clock: 4:30. I shook my hand vigorously, as if the slight pain was like water; something I could easily shake off. I crawled out of bed and stumbled into the shower letting the warm water wake me up and chase the weariness from my muscles. An hour later my hair was dry, slightly curled, and frizz free. I quickly applied some eyeliner and mascara before grabbing a black skirt and blue blouse from my closet. Unfortunately for my paycheck and I, teachers at The Academy dressed like models. Women in skirts and heels, men in freshly starched dress shirts and slacks. The school uniform was pretty strict as well; slacks, dress shirts and blazers for the boys, except on the last two school days of every month which were casual days and the teachers dressed like teens and the teens dressed in clothes they wear at home. I groaned, quickly checking my calendar as I tugged on the outfit and counting down the days until I could wear jeans at work again; 18 days. I slid on my driving boots and tucked my black work shoes into my purse, grabbed my car keys, phone, and briefcase and ran out the door. I slid into my car, putting it in reverse and beginning to back up. I was halfway down the driveway when I had to stop, put the car in neutral and sprint to my front door to lock it. Finally I was in the car, driving to Team One's favorite bakery. Last time I checked, I definitely owed them some breakfast. I checked my watch, they would be just getting on shift now.

I pulled my iPhone from my purse at a red light

"Call Winnie."

"Calling Winnie, Mobile," Syrie responded in her robotic voice.

"Hey my favorite teacher!" Winnie answered after letting the phone ring a few times

"Hey. I have a favor to ask. Are you at work?"

"Yup. Just walked in."

"I'm going to 51st Street to get breakfast. What do you want?"

"51st! YUM! Um, just me or everyone?"

"I have Jules, Spike, and Sam down. Do you know what Sarge, Leah, Ed and you want?"

"Sorry, I can't remember, I can ask Sarge if you want. He hasn't come in yet."

"I'll just guess. They'll eat anything anyway"

"Well, I could go for one of their apple-cinnamon muffins. Leah likes bagels and you know how Ed loves those breakfast sandwiches."

"Right," I said, remembering the time he had scarfed down three. "Okay I'm on my way right now, see you in a few."

20 minuted later I pulled up in front of 51st Street Bakery, a small mom-and-pop shop that had opened a few years back, and was home to Team One's favorite breakfast foods. I pulled my wallet out of my bag and walked in, ringing the bell above the door as I did so. I found myself at the end of the 4 person line, rehearsing what I was getting so I didn't miss anyone.

I heard the door open behind me, but that wasn't what made me turn around to stare at the man who had entered behind me.

"Rian!"

I turned to see Sergeant Greg Parker smiling at me, standing in line behind me.

"Hey Sarge."

"What are you doing here Rian?"

"I thought I could buy Team One breakfast today. As a thank you for...you knoe."

"Rian, you don't need to thank us."