Chapter 1- The Beginning

"Atticus! Wait!" I ran after him, laughing. I could see the tips of his golden blonde hair disappear, as he rounded the corner, sprinting at an incredible speed through the marketplace. "You're going to get into trouble if you don't slow down!"

The marketplace was filled with bustling Athenians, going about their daily business. Women chatted merrily with their friends while their children ran around, shouting and playing. Most of the men were at work on this unseasonably hot day, although some of the men were with their wives while they bought fresh produce. I couldn't see Atticus anywhere. The sun's rays beat down upon me, and I felt quite faint. But that was when I saw him, hiding behind a lonely barrel of wine. I turned in the opposite direction and approached him from behind.

"Found you, Atticus!" I said gleefully. He turned around and his mouth stretched into a cheeky grin. The afternoon sun shone upon his golden locks of hair, and his jade green eyes twinkled in the godly light. His standard white chiton flowed to the ground, the folds in the fabric were like flowing rivers. He stood up and started to run again. I followed, not wanting to lose sight of him again.

"Come on, Ambrosia!" he shouted playfully.

I found myself accelerating, to a speed that I didn't know I had in me. The marketplace turned into a faint blur of shapes and colours, my sole focus was on Atticus. I felt a tingling feeling fill up my body, giving me extra stamina and speed. I skidded to a halt when I saw where Atticus was heading.

"Atticus! Stop!" I shouted, this time I was serious. He was heading into danger. He kept running. The giant forest loomed before me. The leaves rustled gently, but I knew better than to fall for their deceiving nature. I hesitated.

Should I go in, to save Atticus from danger? Or should I save myself. I thought, in a panic. If I die, I'll die a heroine. Maybe the gods will reward me?

I ran into the dark forest. The trees sounded like they were whispering maliciously. She'll die in here, they seemed to chuckle. Mortals like her don't stand a chance.

"Atticus!" I screamed desperately. I was frightened for my life. A fifteen-year old shouldn't have to die so brutally, isolated from everyone. "Please come back. It's not safe in here!"

There was no response. My heart leaped out of my body when I heard a low growl, coming from far ahead of me.

"Atticus!" I squealed in fright. I continued to run. I stopped abruptly, when I saw a small olive branch snapped in two. The growl seemed to be getting closer and closer. My heart sped up drastically. It was time to either abandon Atticus, or die trying to find him.

What would Athena do? I asked myself in a panic. Athena was my role model. She was a strong and fierce warrior, a genius and creative. I turned my golden owl pendant around and around in my fingers. Athena would fight. She would be brave and save her friend, or die trying. She would be a hero, not a coward.

A gigantic shadow fell across the forest, the sun's rays were no longer bright and clear. Something was wrong. Apollo could have been trying to tell me something. Would he dim the light of the sun just to warn me? He was Athena's half-brother after all.

The gods wouldn't notice a mere Athenian like me. Regardless of how much I pray. I thought.

I looked around, trying to find a place of refuge, but it was no use. I was too unfit to climb trees, as I spent most of my time reading scrolls. Today was one of the rare occasions where I ran around, and I cursed to myself that I had to choose this day. Maybe if I had been reading about mathematics, I wouldn't be in this terrifying situation. The growl kept growing in volume, so I had no option but to try and climb a tree.

I hoisted my foot up on to a protruding piece of wood, but it was no use. My feet just kept slipping. The growl drew closer and closer. I managed to find a foothold, and I grabbed a branch in my blistered hand. The tingling feeling was coming back. I found the strength to lift my other leg, and before I knew it, I was a few metres from the ground. The growling stopped suddenly. I felt relief wash over me.

And that was when I felt something touch my back.