Chapter 3- The Change

My eyes opened slowly. I took in my surroundings. I was on a mountain, clouds lining the bottom, as if it was floating in the clouds. Sandstone walls lined the pathway. The path zig-zagged up a gigantic hill, leading up to a magnificent building, complete with arches and statues standing proudly out the front.

I am not in the Underworld. That's for sure. I thought. Even if I am, I wouldn't be in Elysium, I am not a hero. How am I living, but not in the Underworld? And what is this place?

I felt an unseen force dragging me up the pathway, as if it was vital that I go. So it was that I walked up the many stairs, fascinated by the beauty of this land.

It seems like an eternity before I arrive at the golden doors, inscribed with beautiful pictures; goddesses striding gracefully through fields, heroes standing victorious upon a beast's head. My heart jumped in fright when the grand doors parted. My gut pulled me towards et another door, even more glorious and decorated than the first. It was encrusted in precious gems, the handles were carved into what appeared to be delicate leaves.

I didn't know what to do. So I did what any intimidated fool like myself would do, and knocked shyly on the door. I could hear many voices. Some were rough and coarse, others were flowing and lulling. One voice stood out. It talked the loudest, sounded the proudest and the clearest, and seemed to overpower the rest. It was this voice that called, "Enter!"

The doors seemed to magically part again, and I was standing in front of about twelve judging faces.

Is this? Could it be-

My thoughts were interrupted and answered at the same time, by the strong and clear voice that has beckoned me here. The voice was matched with a man, sitting on the largest and grandest throne out of them all. He was Zeus, the leader of the Gods.

"Welcome to Mount Olympus. I pray you had a comfortable journey here?"

Comfortable? I respond in my head. Being stabbed in the heart isn't comfortable.

But I was too intimidated to speak.

"Sit down." he beckoned to a regular-looking chair, not plated with gold or embellished with gemstones, like the rest.

A woman stands. "May I speak to the girl?" she asks. I gasp in astonishment. Athena? Her flowing chestnut brown hair fell over her shoulders. She wore a golden helmet, with a red plume. Her chiton was covered by her golden armour, and her spear was clutched in the hand.

"All right." Zeus responds.

She takes me into another room, quite a lot smaller than the last.

"I heard your prayer." she said in a confident tone.

I didn't know how to respond.

"I couldn't let a mortal- that worships me like this- die. I begged Zeus to save you. And he did. He healed your heart."

"Thank you, great Athena." I bow towards the ground. "I hope that I don't die again soon."

"That's why I brought you here. The Olympian council are thinking of making you an Immortal."

I was speechless. "Why? What great deed have I ever done?"

"We believe that you have the potential to be great. You sacrificed your own life to save the life of another, for a start."

I blush.

"Don't tell Zeus that I said this, but your name suggests a potential for greatness. Food of the Gods. He thinks that you might be of use to us, that you might be the one to make the Great Prophecy come true."

The Great Prophecy? What prophecy? I thought, puzzled.

"Apollo!" Athena called.

A young man, with shining and sun-like blonde hair, walked gracefully into the room, as if he was floating.

"Yes, half-sister?"

"Please recite the Great Prophecy."

He coughed, as if to warm up his voice.

"Athenian peasants, noble and kind,

To make sacrifices and be defined.

A name of definite greatness to one is given,

For another, a deed undone, a deed forgiven.

Forever to live, forever to save,

Olympus stands forever brave."