Chapter 3

The door to Alex's room unlocked and Damon reentered the room with a small pile of clothes. He studied her frozen face, knowing what the man had said on the phone.

"Your friend gonna cause us any trouble?" Damon said with a cryptic tone. She didn't even look at him. Her guard was down and he could kill her instantly, but her mind kept running over Dean's words. I love you. She couldn't understand if she wanted him to say that or even if he meant it that way.

Damon sighed and set the clothes on the bed, "Men don't usually say that unless they mean it, you know." Her eyes darted to his in annoyance. He was listening.

"And why were you listening?" She asked.

He crossed his arms and sat on the edge of the bed, "Because I don't trust you, duh."

She shoved her phone in her pocket and found the chair in the corner to sink into. Her hand rested on her forehead, rubbing the skin back and forth.

"It's simple, Alex. If you want him to love you, congratulations. If you don't, no big deal. He'll get over it," he said, but he didn't believe himself. "Or he won't. No biggie."

"I shouldn't even be talking to you," she grumbled, rubbing her forehead until the skin burned under her fingers.

He studied her expression. She wanted to talk. Something told Damon she wasn't used to having someone to talk to. Her brown eyes, so similar to the girl's he once loved and now hated, struck him when she looked up.

"I don't know what I want," she said breathlessly. She'd been holding in truth for too long; it felt good to let it out. "I feel like everything is too complicated for love."

"Maybe that's what makes it worth it," Damon smiled through pain he'd known because of love.

She felt the sting of tears in her eyes and the contortion of her face in sadness; her hand slowly lowered over her face in a silent sob. Damon stayed for a moment while her body shook, his brows furrowed in empathy, which he never knew he could actually feel for someone.

"You can go," she whimpered. He didn't move as she wiped her face of the tears; seeing that he was still standing there, she stared at him, "Please."

He gave a slight nod and a half smile before he disappeared, leaving Alex alone with a decision she seemed to have to make before she got out of this house.

Damon met Elena and Stefan back downstairs after leaving Alex's room. Stefan looked at Damon in surprise.

"She alright?" He asked. Damon picked up an empty glass on the cart and tipped a bottle over it, pouring amber liquid.

"Well, besides her vampire hunter friend confessing his undying love for her and her not feeling the same, I'd say she's fine," he said sarcastically, taking a drink and grunting as he swallowed.

"Wow. She's only been here a couple hours and there's already drama?" Elena giggled, leaning back into the couch.

"Leave her alone. Something tells me she has a bloody backstory," Damon concluded, sipping the drink again with a crowded brow.

"Damon having compassion; you see something new every day," Stefan grinned, fiddling with a book he'd read too many times.

Damon couldn't shake the feeling that whoever this girl was, this was only the beginning.

—————

Checking in.

Alex stared at the text from Dean as she laid in the obnoxiously gigantic bed. That's all he had to say after dropping a huge bomb on her like that?