Chapter 4

"I can't stay here!" Tamia established.

"Where are you going to go? I'm sure if you had somewhere to stay you wouldn't be here in the first place. It can get quite lonely here at times, but at least, you'll have a roof over your head. At least, try to be appreciative of the little you have right now, it could've been a lot worse!" Elizabeth stated.

"I'm appreciative Nana, but it's just hard to make such a drastic transition!"

Though Elizabeth didn't respond, she knew that Tamia had a point. She wasn't used to the kind of lifestyle that she will be exposed to while living with her. She knew that without a television set, a computer nor cell phone service, her chances of coping will be greatly reduced.

"What do you want for dinner?" Asked Nana

"I don't know I'm not really hungry!" She responded.

She began making her way up the makeshift staircase which creaked with every step she made. As her eyes came in contact with the floor beneath, her legs began to tremble. Her apprehension grew as the dreaded thought of falling crossed her mind. Heaving a sigh she made an attempt to achieve some level of composure; she was steadfast on reaching the top. But to say it didn't cross her mind to accidentally allow herself to slip through the cracks and end it all would be totally contradictory. In fact, the idea fiddled with her mind for a moment, as she stopped and held onto the rails, she stared downwards. Weighing the possibilities of her own survival versus that of her unborn child. What if she could just leap off the staircase and bring it all to an abrupt end? What if she would regain her prior life if she lost the abomination growing inside of her?

The past few days have caused her to rethink her prior stance. The love she once had, for the assumed bundle of joy, has turned into something opposite in nature. She didn't like the person that stared back at her when she gazed in the mirror. She felt heavy and in her view, her beautiful-- once oval face was
becoming round and swollen.

She heaved a sigh as she made it to the top of the staircase. She didn't know where she got the strength from to propel herself, but maybe she was stronger than she thought.

As she stepped inside the room she once occupied on summer holidays, a smile formed on her lips. She had fond memories there. She vividly remembered the first time she came to visit when she was about six years old. She reflected on the thrilling bedtime stories told by Nana, that she anticipated each summer night.

As she gazed upon the wall which was covered by pictures of her uncles and aunt she was appalled by its appearance. The once vibrant room has now become old, dull and uninteresting; it seemed as if it had not been used for years.

Clicking the switch, Tamia turned on the light. She wondered why it was so dark, at 11:00 in the morning, that's when she saw the thick heavy drapes which were used to cover the windows.

"Eeerem eem!!" Tamia coughed as she was choked by the dust from the drapes which she began pulling down.

The sunlight illuminated the room even more so than electric light did. Now she realized that even the bed sheets were dirty, the furniture needed dusting and for a person who has regular sinus problems, Tamia knew cleaning such a dust ridden house, would be difficult for her.

"Sorry about the mess!" Stated Nana as she entered the room

"Yeah you can say that again!" Tamia responded.

"After your mother stopped you from coming here for summer holidays, this room was occupied by your uncle Jack. But ever since I got the news that he died in Afghanistan, I've never gotten the courage to clean it!" She stated. "If I knew you were coming, I would've at least tried to clean up a little."