Chapter 3

Gazing into her father's eyes, she was consumed by nervousness. How could she be so caught up-- so deep into the depths of a dream, to reveal such sensitive details to the man who warned her, on numerous occasion about these situations?

She knew what was next. She knew right then and there that her father wouldn't be on her side, but on the side of his wife, the woman who wants to put her out on the streets. Carlos had strict rules about various things, he did things the way he saw fit, but like most men he had a weakness and that was his wife.

Carlos was once a reprobate, but once he met Lorraine,  he change for the better. He has now become the type of husband who agrees with almost anything his wife says just to avoid conflicts and confrontations.

Tamia wanted to scream, cry and beg for his mercy, but she was afraid this would only make matters worst.

Her parents had high hopes for her and Tamia could not overemphasize the way she felt about disappointing them. Being an honor student, she was on the role of getting a full scholarship to the Princeton university. Even though Tamia spent much time procrastinating, she knew how to balance her time between her studies and recreational activities.

To her dad she was seen as a brilliant teenager who spent her time studying, to him she didn't have a social life this was especially evident before she started dating Jariel -- which he thought wasn't a good idea because in his eyes she was still an little girl.

Little did he know that Tamia had  split personalities, one reserved for home and the other for school.

"Tammy, what were you dreaming about that caused you to react in such a way? What baby are you talking about?" He questioned.

"Daddy I'm sorry, please don't be mad at me!" Her words began to break. "I. I. I. Didn't mean. Fo. For this to happen, daddy, it was a mistake!" She cried.

"Didn't mean for what to happen? What are you talking about?"

Tamia's crying became hysterical yet again. She wanted to hide her protruding stomach from her dad, but she wasn't sure that was the best idea. With tears cascading down her cheeks, she gingerly projected herself from the bed.

"What the hell is that?" He yelled in utmost shock.

''Lorraine!" He yelled.

"Yes hon!" She answered from the room she shared with her husband.

"Get in here!"

Tamia began to hyperventilate as she heard her mother's footsteps moving closer and closer towards her room.

"Did you know about this?" Carlos asked  before Lorraine was completely inside.

"I found out this morning, that's why I was urging you to come home so we could discuss something important. Tamia kept this from us for months on end. I was passing by her bathroom, this morning where I saw her standing with that protruding thing. Needless to say, I was shocked out of my wits!"

With his hands tucked deep inside his pocket and his body leaning against the edge of the door frame, Carlos stared at the two in disbelief.

His mouth hung wide. He tried to speak but his tongue was tied. His expression was grave.

"She needs to find somewhere else to live where she will experience the true harshness of life. Tamia doesn't know what it feels like to be hungry, she doesn't know what its like to have to fend for herself because we ensured that she didn't have to experience these things. But what do we get in return? A baby instead of a high school diploma and now she's forced into motherhood instead of into university- where we worked so hard for her to be. I can't believe she kept this from us, from me, for so long. We used to be able to talk about anything, but now she doesn't even want me around!" Lorraine articulated.