Chapter 8 - Love in the Air

~one year later, 1832~

(Song: End of Paris/Look Down - Revolutionaries)

[Élodie and Enjolras are speaking to the people of Paris]

Everyone: Look down and show some mercy if you can. Look down look down upon your fellow man.

Courfeyrac: When's it gonna end?

Joly: When's it gonna give?

Everyone: Something's gotta happen now. Something's gotta give. It'll come. It'll come. It'll come. It'll come. It'll come!

Enjolras: Where are the leaders of the land?

Where is the King who runs this show?

Élodie: Only one man - General Lamarque - Speaks for the people here below.

[Courfeyrac speaks with Enjolras and then Élodie. He slips a note into Élodie's hand]

Enjolras: Lamarque is ill and fading fast. Won't last the week out so they say.

Élodie: With all the anger in the land how long before the judgement day?

Enjolras: Before we cut the fat ones down to size!

Everyone: Before the barricades arise!

END SONG

Pandemonium broke out. Enjolras quickly pushed me off the platform and into the crowd. Horses neighed and people yelled. The police had arrived. Enjolras and I blended into the crowd pretty easily but I still hid my face from Javert. Javert had been looking for me for over a year now. He knew my name but not my face and I wanted to keep it that way. Apparently so did Enjolras because he had himself placed protectively in front of me and was now dragging me along keeping me stuck to his side.

We pushed our way through the riot to the front of the crowd. Somehow Enjolras fell behind and waited for Marius. I joined Jean Prouvaire at the front line and chanted with the rest of the crowd.

"VIVE LA FRANCE! DEATH TO THE KING! LIBERTY FOR FRANCE!"

The people were united. The time for revolution was so near I could almost taste it and it filled me with energy and pride. The guards pushed us back on their horses. Everyone was now fleeing. I saw Courfeyrac stand protectively in front of Gavroche though it didn't stop either of them from yelling with the rest of the crowd.

"Want me to walk you home, Élodie?" Jehan asked yelling over the riot. I nodded and followed him back through the crowd pushing past enthusiastic people.

When we finally broke away from everyone else I couldn't stop smiling. That rally had gone better than either Enjolras or I could have hoped.

"I didn't expect you to have a rally this morning," Jehan laughed and walked ahead of me. I shrugged unsure why not. I skipped quickly to keep up with the poet.

"It's my usual routine," I replied as we walked towards my house. This only made Jehan laugh more.

"Today isn't just any day. You're getting married in two hours!"

I grinned remembering the special date. The day had finally arrived. I was going to be married to Enjolras, the love of my life, and I couldn't wait. Due to my utter excitement I took off running towards my home before Jehan could finish his current sentence.

"Where are you going?" Jehan called and ran after me. "Not so fast! Wait for me!"

"Come on!" I called back giddily. "We don't have that much time. I'm getting married!"