Chapter 5 - Rally The People

Enjolras' POV

"I'm sorry but I didn't realise the time," Élodie gasped. "I have to go. I'll meet you all here later tonight though, won't I?"

Enjolras snapped out of the trance Élodie's eyes had put him in and stood quickly. He had been drinking in every word that left her soft pink lips. He remembered the last time he rested his on hers. It had been five years since he had last felt her kiss. He remembered like it was yesterday. When they were fourteen Feuilly had told Enjolras that he heard Joly talking about how much he liked Élodie. As a result Joly had gotten the silent treatment for at least a fortnight. Élodie had felt sorry for Joly being left out and Enjolras wouldn't tell her why so she had gone on strike until Enjolras forgave Joly.

After that Enjolras and Joly made up but he had had a sneaking suspicion that Joly may have kissed Élodie in those two weeks. He had never asked either of them because he didn't want to seem like it bothered him. That had been Enjolras and Élodie's 'break-up' of sorts. Of course he regretted it now. If he hadn't been so stubborn and paranoid he probably would have officially asked Élodie to be with him and now proposing would have been a lot easier. The things he got himself into sometimes. Now he needed to get Élodie alone.

"I'll walk you," Enjolras offered and gave his most charming smile.

"No."

The word was stark and it went through Enjolras like a dagger. He dropped back down onto his seat embarrassed and hurt. He didn't look at his friends in case they laughed at him being shot down. He didn't look at Élodie in pure embarrassment and because he simply couldn't.

"Enjolras I'm so sorry," Élodie gasped and hugged him tight from behind. "I really didn't mean it like that. It wasn't meant to be harsh. I'd love for you to walk me but there's just something I must do alone right now. Will you walk me home from the café tonight? Everyone remember to come. It's Gavroche's birthday and he doesn't want anyone to know so we're going to surprise him. Grantaire please be on time and put that bottle down."

Élodie grabbed the liquor from her friends grasp and headed for the door. Enjolras watched her perfect slender, yet curvy figure leave the café. When she was gone he turned back to his friends.

"What?" he said. "No mocking about being shot down? No laughs of how much of a joke I am?"

"No," Courfeyrac said but not as harshly as Élodie.

He shook his mop of curls before looking directly at Enjolras.

"I think Grantaire is right," he said. "Something is up with Élodie. She's up to something. I've never seen her not want to be with you. Did you see that Grantaire? Usually she'd be so excited for Enjolras to walk her places. That's when she gets to talk to him alone. She always says so."

Enjolras shrugged back into his seat but now it was Grantaire's turn to talk.

"She's been changing lately," he slurred through a mouthful of wine he had taken from another table. "She's more serious, more of a leader. She talks constantly of revolution. She's giving carelessly to the poor. She's blowing off Enjolras and sneaking out late at night. I always assumed it was to see you."

Now Enjolras sat bolt upright. He hadn't noticed before but she had been gradually changing. Enjolras stood quickly and ran to the door. He peaked out and just saw Élodie's long curls moving out of sight.

"Come on!" Enjolras demanded. "I can still just about see her!"

"We've got to be fast," Courfeyrac pointed out. "Maybe Grantaire should stay here . . ."

Grantaire seemed offended and rose as gracefully as he could and passed both Enjolras and Courfeyrac and followed Élodie in the direction she was heading.