Chapter 6 - No Fear, No Regret

Everyone that I didn't want surrounding me was there staring at me and waiting for me to say something.

"Are you alright, Élodie?" Enjolras was the first to ask. I sat up quickly and head butted him hard. My hand shot to where my head hurt and my vision blurred for a moment.

"Sorry," I whispered as Enjolras took a large step back in case of a repeat of events. Marius helped me up slowly and I felt much better standing.

"That was something else," Grantaire said with a grin on his face. "You really had those people's following. They listened to you Élodie. They wanted to follow you." He seemed very taken aback but it easily could have been the amount of alcohol he had already consumed that day alone. I smiled at the ground glad that my best friend finally believed in me after I had been trying to get him to for so long.

"This is what I was telling you about Grantaire," I said cheerily. "It's what I've been telling all of you for so long."

"I think you're right."

Enjolras spoke up from behind the group. My eyes found him behind Courfeyrac. I took a large step towards him so our chests nearly touched.

"You do?" I asked thinking this may be too good to be true. Enjolras nodded with a soft smile spreading across his handsome face.

We stared at each other for what seemed like just a moment but the distinctive cough from Courfeyrac suggested otherwise.

"We have Gavroche's birthday to go to," he reminded.

"Of course," I said and stepped back from Enjolras. "Shall we then?" Marius stuck his head into the group and smiled.

"When will I see you again Élodie?" he asked. Enjolras grunted.

"Why should you have to?" he asked the boy he didn't know. I glared at him for his lack of manners.

"Come to the party tonight Marius," I suggested. "Bring a date. It's on in the café Musain. Do you know where it is?"

"I know of it!" he replied. "But my date will know exactly where it is. She knows her way around."

"Perfect," I laughed. "I'll see you then. Au revoir Monsieur Marius."

"A bientot!"

With that Marius was gone and I began to lead my friends away from the square. Enjolras jogged to keep up and finally walked beside me while Courfeyrac and Grantaire held back.

"Why didn't you tell us you wanted to get rid of the King?" Enjolras asked. I laughed.

"I did, Enjolras," I replied. "Many times. I just didn't say that I planned on doing anything about it. I wanted to see if I was alone in my beliefs before I involved you."

Enjolras nodded slowly. He understood. He always did.

"Will you be my date to tonight's party?" Enjolras asked quickly as if he needed to get it out. I blushed.

"Of course, Enjolras," I answered. He slowly slipped his hand back into mine and I could hear Grantaire and Courfeyrac's conversation coming to an abrupt stop once they spotted our fingers entertwined. I smiled completely content with the moment. Enjolras had asked me on a date. It wasn't marriage but it was a step closer and now I knew he liked me.

Time flew after that. I collected Gavroche's cake, changed back into a dress, set up the café, located the street urchin and was now walking with him to the café.

"Gavroche," I began as we strolled hand in hand. "What happened to your family?" He was quiet for a bit.

"I knew from the start that they'd never love me so when we ended up on the streets I went my own way. I have the boys now and you and Les Amis. What about yours?"