Alexandria's Genesis l Three

It was Monday, two days after the party, and I was sitting at our normal lunch table, having lunch. Michael was seated to my right and Tanner, of course, sat on the other side of me. Things had been fairly awkward that morning, when I had met Tanner in our calculus class. We had started speaking at the same time, apologizing to each other. He apologized about how he had acted at the party, and how he shouldn’t have danced with me when I was so drunk that I couldn’t think clearly. And I apologized for Michael’s behaviour, how he had no right to yell at Tanner like that.

We both got silent, smiled and then laughed, everything clearly forgiven.

When lunch started, things got awkward again, Michael didn’t even look at Tanner, and Tanner smiled weakly to me, as if saying ‘’hey, I tried’’. After a good ten minutes with silence, and listening to Christy trying to explain to Micah how much it means for a cheerleader to be at the top of the pyramid, Tanner carefully leaned behind my back, towards Michael and said:

“Hey, can I talk to you for a sec?”

Michael nodded and they both got up and walked away.

“Sam, what the hell?” Christy whispered curiously.

“What?” I asked.

“Come on, don’t what me. You three have been sitting in an awkward bubble, like, forever, and now they walk away to talk? What’s going on?” She looked at me sternly. I felt Micah’s gaze at the side of my face, and I sighed heavily.

“Okay guys, I don’t really know what it is. But it is kind of weird.” I said, looking down at my hands.

“Shoot,” Christy said eagerly. Micah nodded first to her and then to me, as I confirming that he too wanted to know.

So I explained what happened at the party, how Michael had freaked out when Tanner had danced with me while I was drunk.

“Oh my god! I knew it!” Christy exclaimed, the second I was done talking. Micah sighed and hander her 20 dollars.

“What, wait. Why is he paying you?” I asked, frustrated.

“We have had a bet going for a good two years. The bet being that she thought that Michael had a serious thing for you, which I betted against,” Micah explained.

“What?” I whispered, looking sternly at Christy.

“And clearly, he likes you,” Christy did a little squeal and pushed the money into her shorts pocket.

I was about to ask her why she thought Michael liked me, just when he and Tanner re-joined our table. I spent rest of the lunch break staring at the table.

When I was walking home with Michael by my side, I started thinking about everything Christy had said at lunch. Could Michael really have a thing for me? I mean; I know I don’t look bad or anything, but I can’t see myself as Michael’s type. For the last two years, he has only dated cheerleaders, almost the entire squad actually. And I am practically the opposite of a cheerleader. I don’t use makeup, I hate chick flicks, I play video games and I couldn’t care less about what I was wearing. No, she must have mistaken Michaels overprotective and brotherly behaviour towards me has something else than it was. He might have feeling towards me, but not in that way, not romantically.

“What’s buggin’ you Sam?” Michaels voice dragged me out of my thoughts and back into the world.

“Err, nothing,” I said hastily, smiling weakly up at him.

“Cause you’ve been quiet the entire walk home,” he said and I looked around, and surely, we were home already. “And that is not normal.” He placed his hands on my shoulders, bent a little down, and stared right into my eyes. “Is there something wrong?” Worry was written all over his face.

“No,” I mumbled and shook my head. I sat down in the grass of my front lawn. When Michael sat down beside me, I decided I wanted to lie on my back, so I did.

“What did you and Tanner talk about at lunch today?” I asked, closing my eyes. He lay down beside me, his arm pressed against mine.

 “Uh, noting much. He just said he was sorry about Saturday, and asked if we were cool, you know? Normal guy stuff.”

“And you are? You’re cool?” I asked.

“Yeah, yeah. No worries.” He got up on his feet, casting a shadow over my eyes. “See you tomorrow Sam,” he said and walked over to his own house.

“Whatever,” I mumbled to myself and decided to stay on the grass for a little while longer; the sun warming my face felt so good. And then i stood up and I walked inside. 

AN: 

yeah, i know it's short. But i'm working on the next chapter right now, so expect something sooooooon. 

buh bye