Alexandria's Genesis l ONE

CHAPTER ONE 

I was standing in the bathroom. Bending over the counter, towards the mirror and carefully placing the lenses that made me look brown-eyed. I sighed. I had been doing this every day since I was about five years old. I gave myself a slight smile in the mirror before walking out. I did not need any make-up or anything like that, my skin was flawless without it. At least there were some benefits that came with this mutation I had.

“Hello little flower,” greeted my foster mom when I walked into the kitchen. I smiled weakly as a response. She handed me a bowl of cereal and cheerfully mumbled; “here you go”.

I truly love my foster parents; they are the most amazing people I have ever met. Even though they weren’t my biological parents, they treated me like I was worth a million bucks, which to them, I probably was. My parents had died in a horrible car accident when I had just turned six years old. Miranda and Brad, a couple that for years had tried to get pregnant, were my parents best friends and took me in. They never said the words, but I knew that they felt like it was a miracle. Before they died, had my parents luckily told me every thing I needed to know about me being born with a mutation, how to deal with it and how to hide it from other people. I often asked them: “Why can’t anyone know?” They always answered the same thing; that other people wouldn’t understand, they would test me and I would not be able to live a normal life. Which at this point was everything that mattered to me. So I still have not told anyone. My secret died with my parents. Sometimes I wish I could tell everyone, or at least my best friends or Miranda and Brad. It would make a few things a lot easier; I hated all the lying and pretending. But it would also make things so very much harder. So I had to keep the façade on.

I walked to school every day, together with my best friend Michael. He and his family lived in the house directly across the street from ours. I had known him since the second week of living with Miranda and Brad. We became friends instantly. He had dirty brown hair, his skin was tan and he was very tall. His eyes were the most gorgeous shade of green and they were somehow always twinkling.

“Hey,” he said when he opened the door. He then shouted a goodbye to his mother and shut the door. “What’s up?” he always asked me that. And it totally pissed me off every time, probably more than it should. I mean, come on. Why ask what I am doing when I am clearly walking right next to him.

“Whatever. Man, I can’t wait for the math test Mr. Harrison is giving us today!” I said smiling up at Michael.

“Oh that’s nice.” He nodded. “It’s so weird that you actually look forward to tests.” He said and shook his head like it was the strangest thing anyone could do.

“You know I love math, and I think it’s fun with tests and quizzes. There is nothing wrong with that,” I defended myself and pushed his shoulder lightly.

“No, no, of course not, you’re just so weird.”

“Yeah, like you’re any better,” I laughed.

“Shut up,” he said and joined my laughter.

We got to the school ten minutes before the class was starting. I waved a goodbye to Michael as I sprinted towards room 209, where I had calculus with Mr. Harrison. I pressed my legs as hard as I could and I walked through the door the second the bell rang. The only open seat was beside a boy I had never seen before. He had dark brown hair, blue eyes and incredible pale skin. His face was utterly beautiful.

“Impressive,” he said when I sat down in the seat next to him.

“Yeah, I’m awesome. Who are you by the way?” I asked nicely.

“Oh, I’m new here. My name is Tanner, I just moved here from New York.” He smiled and held out his hand.

“I am Sam,” I responded and shook his hand. I was about to ask him what his schedule was when Mr. Harrison’s booming voice interrupted. 

“Quiet down kids, test time!” Mr. Harrison was an amazing teacher. He was in his early thirties and the funniest guy alive, is it strange that he was my favorite teacher?

Tanner had the same classes as me before lunch and we had art class together after lunch. We also had lunch at the same time.

“Want to sit with me and my buds?” I asked him when it was lunchtime.

“Totally!” He gushed in a girly voice. I laughed and slapped his arm.

“Dudes, this is the great Tanner,” I introduced Tanner to my table. “Tanner, this is The Dudes.” I gestured my arm dramatically at my group of friends. “This is Christy,” I said and pointed to the blonde cheerleader who was seated directly across from where I was standing. “That’s Micah right there,” I gestured to the boy sitting at Christy’s right; he had jet-black hair and almost yellow eyes. He lifted his head and smiled shyly at Tanner. “And this, this is the royal dog Michael.” When I was done introducing I sat down next to Michael and Tanner placed himself next to me.

“Ben & Jerry’s after school?” Michael whispered in my ear. Even though he said it very quiet, I could hear what he said as clearly as if he was speaking like normal, since you know, I had super hearing.

“You know it, Brotha,” I smiled and shoved my shoulder lightly against his. I turned my attention towards Tanner and asked “Are you good at art?”

“Kind of, it depends if I’m in the mood or not,” he answered and popped a baby carrot into his mouth. “What about you? You any good?”

“No, not really-“ I started, but was cut off by Christy.

“She is ah-mazing! Like, she could totally make everything look realistic.” I chuckled at her cheerleading-ness.

“She is incredible yes,” Michael confirmed.

“Shut it asshats. I’m nothing special,” I said.

“I bet you’re amazing,” Tanner said, his eyes locking with mine. I felt Michael tensing up beside me.

“She is,” he said, almost angrily. What was going on? He was acting so weird today. Thankfully the bell rang, signalizing that lunch was over. I walked with Tanner to art class, and I could feel Michael’s stare as we walked away.

“Michael sure is protective of you, are you guys dating?” Tanner asked once we were outside the canteen.

“God no! He is like my older brother,” I said. I got this question a lot. Michael can sometimes be very much like an older brother towards me, always trying to look out for me. Which makes everyone think that we are together. At last year’s prom, we were crowned ‘couple of the year’. One word: Embarrassing. “That would be weird.”