Look at me

Look at me

It’s been four years; I’ve recently graduated college and took an internship at a company. My life has been nothing but redundant, and I wasn’t that much joyful as I once was in high school. I have new friends, but they were nothing compared to the friendship I had with him. I miss him. For four years, I’ve only heard of him twice. One was when my mother told me that we was joining the army; second was today, when my mother called me and told me about his brother’s wedding. I was schedule to go home in the same week, making it hard for me to make an excuse.

Two weeks has passed since that call, and now, I was in my old bed room dressing up for the wedding. As I stood there, looking at myself in the mirror, I remembered that night when he took me to our graduation ball. I smiled at the memory and felt a tear fell beside my cheeks and wipe it away. I straighten myself and erased the thought. My heart was pounding hard when I finally realize that I was going to see him again. My mom told me he went on a month leave for his brother’s wedding.

In the drive to the venue, my hand was shaking uncontrollably. I was glad that my father volunteered to drive so that I can have some more time to keep myself calm. As we arrived at the venue, we were ushered inside and sat there until the ceremony started. When I look up in front, I finally saw him. For four years, age only made him looked more handsome and mature. My heart started picking up beat that I looked away so that he wouldn’t notice me.

For the rest of the ceremony until the reception, I kept myself invisible as much as possible and away from his line of sight. When the party slowly died down, I excused myself to my parents and asked to leave first. I didn’t wait for the answer and just walk out of there unnoticed. As I was walking out, I was searching for him. But, I didn’t see him at all, which made me sigh in relief.

When the taxi driver drops me off at the corner of our street, since I wanted to walk, I noticed a bright light up head, lighting up the front of our house. I jogged there, curious about it. And as I got there, I gasped at the sight that was in front of me.

The wall on the first level of my house was filled with photos of me and Chase in high school. A photo of the first time we hang out; also, a photo of the time when we went to the beach. There is a photo of the time when we were fooling around in school; and, a photo of the two of us in wacky. And also, there is even a photo of us dancing on the night of our graduation ball, which I didn’t know existed. I gasped that the collage of pictures, and felt a prick of tear in my right eye.

“What? No, hello?” a voice said behind me, getting my attention away from the collage. It was a voice I know all too well, yet matured as the years passed by.

I turned around and finally faced him eye to eye for so many years. I gave him a soft smile of guilt since I did hide from him the whole time. “Hello.”I finally said, a few moments after.

“I know I’m four years too late. But, I’m not here for that…”he started as he slowly walked towards me from where he was standing. “…I’m here because I want to start all over.” He continued as he reached a few steps away from me. “Could I have a second shot at making this right? If you could have me.” he added, standing right in front of me.

“I don’t know. I don’t give out chances to strangers…” I said, smirking.

“Well… I’m sorry if I haven’t introduced myself. I’m Chase Anderson, and you are?” He said and asked, smirking yet still going with the flow.

“Alexis Morgan. It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Anderson.” I said, stepping closer to him.

“The pleasure is all mine, Ms. Morgan. And, please call me Chase.” He replied, and stepped closer to me.

“Then call me, Alex. Chase.” I said, beaming.

We were so close to each other that I could feel his warmth saturating me. And before I could blink or say another word. I was already in his arms, wrapped around his embrace, and his soft lips in mine. When he finally let go, I was smiling at him crazily.

“Took you long enough… but, it was worth the wait…” I stated, still in his embrace.

“Sorry, I’m slow…”he said, chuckling.

Finally, for the first time, the man I love look at me lovingly as I did.

----

This story is for a contest entry by @misslady

I would like to thank @komal1009 for giving me her time and created a book cover.. it's very lovely :D

This story is inspired by Demi Lovato's song "Give your heart a break"

And lastly, for those who might enjoy reading this story, thank you for giving it a chance, and please comment away and vote if you like it. I would appreciate the gesture.

With love,

...Melon Diaries...