Chapter Fifteen: Lost

We leave the ruins behind of us both literally and figuratively. Rush and I don’t speak a word of it while we walk even though I desperately want to. From the look on his face, he’s still shocked and horrified at what he’s seen. It has stunned him into an uncharacteristic silence. I don’t try to pull him out of this shock. I have a feeling that he wants to mull over this until he comes to terms with whatever he’s feeling about this.

     One thousand and fifty-six seconds later, I sneak a quick look in Rush’s direction. He’s still staring straight ahead and still looks confused. It doesn’t take very much to feel sorry for him.

     I find the courage to speak. “Are you all right?” I ask him. I’m surprised to hear the concern in my tone. I’m not used to showing these emotions. Heat rises in my cheeks, and I clear my throat like a cough has spontaneously invaded.

     Rush doesn’t notice this or doesn’t care. He lets out a heavy sigh, staring up at the sky and running his hand through his fair hair. It looks darker for some reason, like the ash from that place has appeared in his hair. “Honestly, I’m never fine.” He pauses sharply and then lets out a bitter laugh. “Sorry,” he says not unkindly. “I’m not used to this kind of honesty.”

     That makes the two of us, but I don’t tell him that. Somehow, it feels too intimate, like I’d be revealing a deep secret to him that would be best left unsaid.

     Instead, I keep quiet and Rush does so too. We walk on in silence, following the silver tracks down to an unknown destination. Neither of us pauses for a break even though our legs are hurting.

     Somehow, I feel more aware of Rush than ever before. When I think of him walking beside me, my heart begins to pick up pace, and I have the urge to look at him if even just for a second. Every time I sneak a glance, his gaze is straight ahead with a sort of confused determination. It’s a curious thing. Normally, I would stare at him, trying to dissect his emotions. Instead, heat flushes my cheeks again, and I look away, heart thumping. I don’t want to be caught staring by those green eyes of his. Normally, I wouldn’t care. What changed? I don’t know.

     We’re walking in silence now with only the sound of footsteps between us. Something about that silence feels heavy: perhaps even too heavy to break without feeling odd and awkward.

     We walk until the sun begins to make its slow descent down the sky towards the horizon. I don’t tell Rush that my feet are hurting. In fact, neither of us says anything.

     The second patch of woodland is nearing by the second. I’m about to open my mouth and ask Rush when we should stop until he pauses suddenly. His steps stop, and he looks down at his wrist inquiringly. I stare, wondering what he’s doing. Then, he brings his wrist towards him, tapping once on the metallic band with his index finger.

     “You’ve finally answered!” comes Tabitha’s voice so suddenly that I nearly leap back in surprise. I realize that she must have attempted to communicate to us, and Rush somehow got the message. Before any of us can speak there’s an odd, blaring noise in the background. I look around, confused. Then I realize it must be coming from Tabitha’s side.

     “By Seraphin!” she exasperates. Then she fixes her mind on speaking to us again. “Look, I’m outside Vainglory right now. I’m in Sapodilla, you could say. It’s—it’s impossible to get in. There are guards and outposts stationed everywhere—it’s so different from what it used to be. I—” Tabitha takes a deep breath. “I can’t get through. I wasn’t prepared enough.” Her voice sounds on the verge of angry tears. I can’t help pitying her. She doesn’t know what to do now. Saving her friends was on the top of her list, but now that’s impossible. She doesn’t know what to do. An apology is at the tip of my tongue before she snaps back to her crazed self and starts barking orders again.