Chapter Six: Realization (Part 1)

It’s them. I know that it’s them. Now that I’m back in their grasp, I wonder why in the world I denied my true identity when that could have been my ticket out of this place.

     I’m an idiot.

     I’ve been making too many idiotic choices because I haven’t been around long enough to make real choices that are good for me. I don’t even know what I’m doing half the time.

     “Oh!” she says. “They’re here!” Her face lights up and she looks so happy even though I definitely do not feel the same way about these people now. She heads over to the door and opens it. Of course, they’re all standing there, looking weary and a little tired. I feel a tinge of satisfaction, knowing that I’m the reason for this fatigue. But when it comes, it disperses. I can’t feel happy about someone’s fatigue. It’s not right.

     “Hi,” Tabitha greets the woman, and the woman greets her back with more vigour. My eyes go towards her hands. She is holding something sleek and black.

     “Hello Tabitha!” she says happily. “Welcome in! Here’s, ah, Seven Young.”

     Tabitha’s dark eyes flicker towards me before it goes back to the woman. “Thank you,” Tabitha tells her. “Thank you for helping us.”

     “But of course!” she says. “You are right about things in Seraphin. They’re not like they used to be. I used to think Fiametta was crazy until Eagan decided to join her cause. She opened my eyes.”

     Gordon brings a finger to his lips, and the woman nods. “Oh yes, of course. Her name is to be spoken. My blunder,” she admits quickly. “And no, this place isn’t bugged. They don’t find it worthy enough to bug. They don’t think we have a shred of intelligence, and we’re still keeping a low profile.”

     “Good,” Gordon says, looking relieved. Thorpe, who is at the back, peers from behind Gordon around the house.

     “Where’s Jakob?” he asks quietly.

     “He’s at school,” the woman tells him. “Now would you three like to come inside?”

     Tabitha hesitates and then looking at her two companions, she complies. “All right,” she finally says due to the look that Thorpe gives her. When she says so, he smiles brightly and rushes past us and up the stairs before we can even move.

     Tabitha sighs and shakes her head but a hint of a smile is playing on her lips while she watches her brother disappear up the stairs. “That boy…”

     “Would you like something to eat?” the woman asks them kindly.

     “We’ve already eaten, thanks for the suggestion Necha,” Gordon says, grinning again. “Actually, we’d like to have a private word with Seven.”

     My head jerks up at the mention of my name, and all eyes are on me like they’ve suddenly remembered that I exist too. I don’t know what to say so I don’t say anything at all.

     “You can have the whitewashed room in the back,” Necha says. “Do you want me to blindfold her so she doesn’t know the way out?”

     It’s a little silly to do that, but I don’t say it. The house isn’t large and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out where the exit is. I’ve already escaped once. But I don’t say these points, and I stand there quietly, wondering what Gordon and Tabitha want to say to me. It can’t be something good seeing the sudden storminess in Tabitha’s eyes.

     “No, that won’t be necessary,” Gordon says casually. “She’s not going to escape. We’ll keep an eye on her at all times. In fact,” Gordon adds cheerfully, “you’ll have two pair of eyes watching her. That’s four eyes in total.”