Chapter Four: Seraphin (Part 1)

The visions are coming less and less frequently. Now when I look at Gordon I don’t see his eyes turn red, and I don’t see a scorpion. I don’t see anything on people anymore, but I don’t know if it’s a good thing or a bad thing. Now that they just look like normal people, I don’t find the means to hate them or fear them anymore. Maybe it was better to see things because then I would remember how much I hate them when I’m forgetting.

     The doctor still doesn’t provide me with pills, and I assume he’s right not to. Clearly he’s not a bad person seeing that he’s blind to Avanna and Gordon’s intentions. Avanna is here all the time, and I want to scream at everyone else for letting a person like Avanna in their midst. Surely they know that something is amiss with her. I hate myself for not being able to find the right words to speak every time I have the chance. I just let it slip out of my grasp like water.

     My wrist feels slightly better, the day slipping by. Avanna tells me that this is because they have strong medicine here. I always wonder: if they have strong medicine, why don’t they just give me my pills and be done with it?

     I don’t know how long I’ve been in this hospital, but it must have been over three days by now. All I know is that when I wake up, Avanna serves me food, and I go to the lavatory when I need to which I limit often. I hate walking through the hallway knowing that I can just point Avanna out and have her arrested. Something inside of me keeps holding back.

     One morning the door to the room bursts open, and Tabitha walks in, her dark hair frizzy, her eyes looking straight at me. She smiles, but it looks like a forced smile.

     “Hello,” she says. “How are you?”

     I don’t answer her.

     “We’re leaving now,” Tabitha continues. “Avanna’s going to get you signed out, and then you can leave with us. We’re going to the outskirts.”

     “No,” I find myself saying. Anger begins to bubble up within me, and I want to kill her. I want to take Bryler’s gun and shoot her until she’s a bloody mess. “I won’t go with you.”

     She ignores my protest and stands over me. “You can walk or do you want a wheel-chair?”

     “I’m not going,” I tell her, my voice still quiet. I wish that I can raise my volume level so then maybe she’ll stop treating me like I’m a fragile little girl who can’t do anything except whine about her pills. I’m not like that. “I’m going home,” I proclaim. “To the hospital,” I clarify.

     “You’re not,” Tabitha tells me. “Look, if you don’t leave now, Bryler’s going to get upset and shoot you himself.”

     Let him shoot him. I don’t care anymore. I would rather die than support and help these people. I’m sure Tabitha understands because she sighs and shakes her head sadly.

     “They really have brainwashed you,” she says so quietly that I can barely hear it. Then she says louder, “You have to come if you want to go back ‘home’, Seven,” she tells me, careful to use my name.

     The name has always sounded foreign to me, but now it’s like a calling to my soul. My name is Seven Young and nothing else.

     “And…,” Tabitha begins, trailing off. “Well, I’ll tell you when you see it. You don’t know who your family is, right?”

     I jerk away from her at the mention of the word ‘family’. How does she know about them? “What… family?” I ask cautiously, wondering if she’s lying to try to capture my attention and bring me away from here.