This is No Martyrdom- 3

“Alright, actors. Get in groups of three and begin the first segment in Pagliacci. Choose who will be the clown, first. Alright. Go ahead.” Mrs. Briggs yelled to my class, flinging her arms dramatically around at every word she said.

“JAYCE! JAYCE!!!! OVAR HERE!!! Come on!!” one of the girls in my class said, pulling on Jayce’s V-neck shirt.

“Alright..Alright. Anything for the ladies.” He got up and walked to where the rest of the groups were. He looked back at me with a sort of.. Reluctance? Why wouldn’t he want to go ovar there? It’s not like I wanted him in my group anyways..

“So since we already know we’re in a group together, who else should be in it? I was thinking Amber.. Because she can speak fluent Italian, and isn’t that what this…is in.. ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?” Sara said, snapping my attention from Jayce to her.

“Pshh…Why wouldn’t I be? Gosh.. “ I said while laughing (faking)

“Because you like Jayce… and he likes you. I can tell because when we were talking outside.. He said he was looking for you for ten minutes, and he really looked panicked and once you jumped in he looked more relieved to see you. Then when he was talking to you he looked nervous and-”

“Nope. He just wants to get in my… dress… and I’m not falling for it. He’s a player, Sara. I don’t want to be hurt.” I said, glancing at Jayce, who seemed to had heard the conversation. He looked a little sad. Psh. I don’t care.

“I don’t think so. I mean yeah, obviously he’s a player.. But it’s almost like he would change for you.” Sara said when Amber walked over with threes scripts.

“May I ?” She said looking at us expectantly.

“Of course! We were going to call you ovar here anyway. So perfect. Three people! So…who wants to be Canio? I want to be Nedda though..she just wants to have fu-un!!” Sara said, jumping up and down in her chair. Of course she would want to be Nedda.. The one who basically cheats on her husband.. Then dies.

“I can be Silvio.. I’ve always liked his character.. So that means you are Canio, Elissa.” Amber said, flipping through her script. Oh great. I’m the psycho killer.. But hey. At least I get a fun part.

“Sounds like a plan, Stan.” Sara said while looking through her script. Wait, isn’t this an opera ?

“Man… look at the songs we have to sing! They’re amazing! But here’s what I don’t get about every group being the same people.. Who plays the audience and the other actors? Well maybe Mrs. Briggs will choose the best group to play the three main characters.. Or maybe she will choose three people in the whole class to be the main people!!! Oh gosh! I WANNA BE NEDDA!!!” Sara yelled, getting ovar excited over an opera for school.

“Dude.. Calm the frick down. I bet you will get the part anyway.. You are an amazing actress.” I said, while I felt a presence behind me.

“Hey..” he, Jayce, said. I stood up so it wouldn’t be awkward to turn around and see pants.

“Yes?” I said, mildly rude. Well.. I guess I don’t need to be mean.

“I’m sorry.. I never asked you what your name is?” He said, looking really nervous.

“Elissa. But why do you want to know?” I asked, already knowing what he’s going to say.

“Because. If we’re going to be friends, I need your name. Gosh, why so crabby?” he said. I did not expect that answer. I was expecting something more like…so I know what name to scream some time… or something like that.

“Friends? I don’t know..”

“It’s not like I’m asking you to give me a bj… I’m just asking for friends.” he said loudly, the teacher looked at us alarmed.

“Fine.. I will be your friend. But no benefits, ok? That is not in the friends only handbook.”

“Aw, jam. No benefits? Then what’s the point… I’m JOKING! That was a joke! Friends and only friends would be a nice change.” he said when he saw my hand twitch, about to smack him in the face.

“Much better. Now go back to your group. OH WAIT! I met your sister.. She’s so nice! You guys look a lot alike.” I said, remembering Jayde.

“We look alike because we’re twins, smart one. Just keep it on the down low. For her. She doesn’t really approve of all of my… social gatherings in my room.” he said, talking much quieter than I did.

“She isn’t the first one to not approve. Now.. Go back to your group. They look lost without you.” I said, pointing to the two bottle blondes staring at Jayce with lost eyes.

He just laughed and walked back ovar to them. I don’t know about that kid.. His personality changes with every person he hangs out with….