Fever Dreams - chpt 4

Chapter 4 : More Questions?

Jace sighed, clicking through many TV channels. He was honestly bored. It was only Thursday, and he would be happy when tomorrow came. The weekend was the best to Jace. Jace smiled to himself, but it quickly went away as he thought about what happened at school. Katelyn kissed him. it wasn't anything major, but it was still a kiss. She had a boyfriend. An idiot boyfriend. Jace kept thinking until he was knocked out of his thoughts by the doorbell ringing. Jace's golden retriever, Jack, hopped up and trotted to the door. Jace whipped it open, and there standing before him was the Devil. Katelyn. She looked at him up and down, and now Jace realized he had nothing on but gray sweatpants. "Yes?" He asked, keeping his eyes on hers. "I just came to talk. Nothing else." She whispered, looking at his stomach. The white bandage wrap wasn't around his torso anymore and was replaced by a sharp six pack. There still was a scar of where Jace was stabbed, but the knife didn't go too deep. He was thankful for that. "I'll let you in when you can stop staring at my gorgeous body." Jace said, hiding a smirk. Katelyn rolled her eyes, and Jace opened the door more for her. She walked in slowly, and walked to the couch. "I can take your jacket." Jace said, standing behind her. He helped her take her jacket off, and Jace felt the electricity between the two. Something was going on. He ran his hand down her arms, feeling the goose bumps on her body. "I'm sorry," He whispered, hanging her jacket up on the coat rack. "Would you like something to drink?" Jace asked, walking into the kitchen. Katelyn followed but shook her head no. Jack followed Katelyn around and she laughed, leaning down to pet him. Jace leaned against the kitchen counter, watching Katelyn, trying to hide a smile. "What did you want to talk about?" Jace asked Katelyn, taking a swig of his water. "Can we talk in the living room?" Katelyn asked, already making her way there. I'd rather kiss you, Jace thought to himself, and then he realized who he was talking about. He followed behind Katelyn, turning the TV down. "So, what's up?" He asked. "I just really wanted to know what's going on with you." Katelyn whispered, taking a seat on the couch. "What do you mean?" Jace asked. "Since third grade we've never been ... the same." Jace froze up. Not because he was cold, but because he knew what Katelyn was talking about. Jace hadn't had the perfect childhood. It involved police and court and arguments and that was honestly the last time his parents trusted him. "I don't want to talk about it." Jace said, trying to brush the memories off. "But, Jace!" Katelyn said, standing up. "I said I don't want to talk about it!" Jace roared, glaring at Katelyn. "I just want to know ... Why!" She screamed back, bumping chests with him. "Why? Why what? You did what you did and I got in trouble for it, it's over with already!" Jace screamed, raising his hands in the air. He remembered what happened years ago.

"Follow me!" Katelyn whispered, running through the grass. "But Katy, I've gotta get home--" Jace whispered back, using his nickname for her. Katelyn was Jace's best friend of almost 8 years. Their parents were best friends before the both of them were born."Not yet, please!" Katelyn had a match in her hand. She was running toward the Hill's house. Katelyn McMillan and Kerry Hill did not get along. At all. Katelyn grabbed Jace's hand as they were at the back of the house. "Watch this." Katelyn said excitedly, rubbing the match against a hard surface on the box of matches. Jace had no idea what she was doing. Sooner or later, fire glowed from the match. Katelyn threw the match through the open window and grabbed Jace's hand. Jace could hear screaming. "Katelyn, what did you do!?" Jace asked, looking around. Smoke emerged from the house. "Come on!" Katelyn said, grabbing his arm. And they ran. One person only died that night from the fire, and that was Kerry Hill's mother. Days later, Katelyn and her parents were questioned. Katelyn told them that Jace did it. After a good lawyer and at least four or five jobs for each of Jace's parents, they were able to pay Kerry's father back for the damage to the house. They went to court, and Katelyn was even in the crowd. She just sat there and looked at Jace. She let him lie. "Did you do this, Jace?" The judge asked, staring Jace straight in the eyes. He looked over to his mother who was crying and my father who was comforting her. "Yes ma'am." Jace whispered. Jace was only eight. Though he didn't kill anyone, he took the blame. And he had to go to jail. From eight until fourteen, Jace stayed in a boy's home. They didn't want to call it prison, but it was worst. It was Hell. He was unable to see his parents or his friends or anyone--- not that he had friends anymore. He was called a murderer. He was a bad influence on other parent's kids, so they told them to stay away. The only person he had betrayed him, and that was Katelyn.

And people thought he just hated her for fun.