Chapter 19 - I'm a Zebra

She groaned. “I’m not gonna pretend and ask what that was for.”

My towering figure stepped back from her and walked around to my desk as she regained her stance.

“Then don’t.” I dropped down heavily into my chair. “Surely the bleach you use hasn’t frazzled your brain cells. You do know that harassment is a crime, right?

“I know you’re angry—”

Angry? She thinks I’m angry?

“You have less than five minutes.” I snapped. “Talk, then leave.”

She inhaled sharply, her jaw gritted tight and her hands stayed in tight fists by her sides. Her wolf didn’t like the disrespect, but she was controlling it.

A first time for everything.

But she still didn’t talk.

“Tick-tock, four minutes.”

“For a human, you pack one hell of a punch.”  She said, as if she was in awe.

I shrugged nonchalantly. “I figure I could do my best to try and break just one of your bones…you know, in retribution for the twelve broken bones you alone were responsible for.”

Her shoulders immediately slacked. The look of awe wiped off her face. I sat back and kept up the staring competition she held with me. Another moment of silence passed uncomfortably, but I couldn’t help but notice a few things. Her blemish free skin now had lines at the eyes, crow’s feet, and the bags underneath them held stories of restless nights. She was tired. Her eyes dropped to the floor, her fingers loosened and she blew out a breath, as if she were uncomfortable.

“I’m sorry.” She sniffed, biting her lips.

Her apology angered me.

“Three minutes.”

She breathed out heavily through her nose, frustrated. “You don’t believe me, I understand that. But I am sorry. I’m sorry for what I did to you, I’m sorry for what they used to do to you. I’m sorry for the words, the hurt, the pain—”

My outstretched hand stopped her from talking any further.

“Spare me.” I scoffed. “Two minutes.”

“Look here,” both her hands rested on her hips, “I’m trying my best. I want…to build bridges with you, forget the past and move on.”

“I have moved on. I’ve moved on pretty darn well thank you very much. One minute.”

Her face flushed red, her eyes widened as I sat back even further into my chair, as if she realised that her time was slowly coming to an end.

“You ran away nine years ago and left an entire family in pieces. You have no idea how sorry we all are, what pain your mom and dad had to endure, and the heartache your brother, my husband, has to live with! It’s not all black and white…”

It happened suddenly.

The thudding beat of my heart started to drum loudly, drowning out the sound of Jessica and her high pitched voice. Her lips moved, but no sounds reached my ears as I panicked inside. The frail cage around my heart seemed to contract inwards, giving my organs a tight squeeze which left me slightly breathless.

“Times up.” I breathed. “Get out!”

I leaned forward to grip the desk and pushed upwards whilst trying my best to act pissed off. Jessica stopped talking.

“What?”

“GET OUT!” I yelled.

Jessica’s face paled, her face fell in sadness. “Emma, please.”