Chapter 15 - Mind over matter

Time.

It's the one thing that can't be measured. Time slipped by, slipped through our hands and distanced itself deep into our past. A gift given to us for the rest of our lives, we took advantage of it; as easily as we breathed, we used time for our own mercies. Truth be told, time wasn't even on our side. It was borrowed. And everything we did to it was just another omen to say that time was slipping from our grasps. It was inevitable. Time would slowly run out. Maybe not now, maybe not even tomorrow...

But soon.

Time always ran out.

A year and a half ago

With an almighty sigh, I pushed through the front door, closed it shut behind me...and smiled. Five meetings, one lunch, and several killer hours sat in my office later and I was home. Home. The unwavering smile on my lips became even more pronounced when thoughts of home turned to Marc. Taking off the jacket as I went along, I walked through the large corridor and slipped off my heels. The apartment seemed empty, quiet even. It was a stark difference to all the laughing and...other sounds that filled the air this morning. Marc's fault. He decided it best to switch off my alarm and sleep in; only, his plan got him through just five minutes before I woke up anyway - the alarm was always set for him, I woke up easily.

It was still perfect.

Life was just perfect. My eyes roamed my perfect home as I walked through my perfect corridor to my perfect bedroom, where earlier on, my perfect lover had me woken me up to a perfect, perfect day. Sure, I was gushing, but...it really was perfect. How easy it was for me to say those words, I never would have dreamed of it before. I daren't use the words in any of my sentences before now, because frankly, life really started its road to perfection when I met Marc.

The cold marble tiles felt cool beneath my feet as I walked barefoot to my bedroom. Marc wouldn't be home for another hour, and I would use my free time to get laundry done before he diverted my attention like he always did. One time, when I thought I could do something productive with my time off in the fall, Marc...came and...he...

A deep hushed tone had my thoughts dispersing when I got closer to the open door of the master suite. I balked...and tilted my head in confusion, trying to sound out the words that were coming from behind the door. That was Marc, I was sure of it. But what was he doing home now? I twisted my wrist to get a better look at the time, but the little dials made me even more confused; Marc had another hour before he got home. With lithe moments, I tiptoed closer to the door and rested my head against the wall, listening. What I heard had my heart racing at a hundred miles per hour.

"...No...no. Breathe, you idiot! Come on," he cleared his voice and began again. "Emmy, ever since I saw you on the pier, I've felt this overwhelming urge to..." Marc let out a frustrated sigh; I struggled to contain my laughter. Oh my god... He was doing this. He was going to propose! Of course he was; there was no other reason why he would ever sound so...unlike him. Biting my lip, I strained to listen as his muttering turned incoherent. My head inched closer to the door, and before I knew it, I found myself pushing the half open door wider, quietly and discreetly.

I wanted to see my baby struggle.

The door opened wide enough for me to slip in and hide unnoticed in the corner of the room. Marc stood in his work clothes, shirt rolled up at the sleeves to his elbow, and his tie undone. I took in the beauty of his stance, his elegance and...his frustrations as he started shaking his head vehemently - he looked so constipated! My hands shot to my mouth to stop a giggle from escaping as he walked back and forth between the bed and the window, a little box in his hand.