Chapter Five

When Adel walked into Jesse's room, he saw Jesse was already awake. Jesse ate and tried to make small talk, but Adel only gave back one word answers. They headed back to the woods and Jesse grabbed the axe before Adel. 

Adel sat while Jesse worked, avoiding his eyes from Jesse. Otto walked up after a while. 

"He doesn't have any new bruises and it looks like his been getting more food and sleep."

"I know what I am doing! Who did they choose to break him?"

Otto looked shocked but answered, "You."

"Correct. I know what I am doing. Get back to work."

Otto looked irritated but listened because Adel was above him. 

"What was that all about?" Jesse asked. 

"Nothing."

Jesse threw the axe on the ground.

"How am I supposed to trust you?"

"You're just going to have to."

Jesse scoffed and sat down. 

"If i write a letter would you make sure it got sent?"

"Yes, why?"

"Because, I know I am going to die here. I want to tell my parents and brother goodbye. Tell Mary to move on, that I'm not coming home like I promised."

Adel flinched at Jesse's words. He was breaking his promise. Jesse had a family and a girl back at home, and Adel was keeping him here. He hadn't meant for it to be like this, he was only trying to make it so he wouldn't get close to Jesse. It seemed that was the only way to get him out of here. They had to work together, so Adel would have to get over his feelings and help Jesse like he promised.

"You're right. Otto said you didn't have any new bruises and were starting to look healthier. I told him that I knew what I doing and get back to work."

"Damn, you told him."

"Tell me about your family."

"My mom is the sweetest woman unless you mess with her babies. I miss her hugs and the smell of her perfume. My dad is usually working but when he is around, we are always joking around and outside. My brother, Stevie, he is one crazy kid. He looks up to me a lot. He does take after my mom and I with the standing up for ourselves. He had gotten into plenty of fights, and probably plenty more. My dad was the kind to shut his mouth and walk away."

"What about Mary?"

"Mary is this small girl who doesn't talk much unless she knows or likes you. I listen to her talk for hours. I thought I was going to marry her, but her parents want her to marry this rich guy. She doesn't know that I know that they used to date before we did. She used to go to the same private school as him, until her dad lost his job. He got another one but she had fallen in love with public school and me. Her parents loved me and knew I would be able to support her once I got out of high school. They were close friends with Clarke's family though. They just want her to be happy. They told me that since she was little she wanted Clarke. That changed once she had to leave private school and he left her. I know he really loves her too. Her parents told me his parents made him leave her. Mary doesn't know that. She still loves him but she loves me too. I have to let her go."

"You don't have to. I'll get you out of here and you can marry her."

"Even if I do get home, I'll never be the same. I'll never be the Jesse she knew again."

"Wait, if the crew you were with all died, wouldn't the Americans think you were died."

"Yes, they would tell my parents I was dead."

"So Mary probably thinks you're dead as well."

"Yeah."

"So she's moving on."

"Tell me about your family"

"My parents didn't believe in the war. They have never taught me violence. I had many other brothers and sisters but they all died before birth and their first birthday. I was their lucky child, they told me. The only one who lived. They spoiled me. My father was rich but looked down on because of his beliefs. My best friend was the only friend I had. I was beaten and made fun of at school. Her name was Heidi. My other family members and the people at school, talked me into joining. The last thing my father said to me was, 'Adel, You walk out that door, and you are no longer my son'."

"I am certain if you walked through that door, he would hug you so hard you couldn't breathe."

"We have to carry the wood to the crematory."

"That is one long walk." Jesse said slightly smirking. 

**************

Adel helped him carry some but Jesse knew he had to do most of it because of the other soldiers. Adel had given him new clothes because his had worn out. He was changing when Adel walked in with food. Adel put the food on the table and sat on Jesse's bed. 

Jesse left his shirt off, he was still hot from being outside. He sat down beside Adel and ate. 

"Did you love her?" He asked Adel.

"Who?"

"Heidi."

"Yes."

"In love with her?"

"No. I never felt that way towards her."

"So you never had a girlfriend?"

"No."

"I dated a few girls in lower grades but they weren't serious. The only girl I dated that I was serious about was Mary. Want to know a secret?"

"Sure."

"Before I started dating Mary, I was with this.....guy. He was older than I was. He was going to the college in our town. We had to sneak around because even though we dont kill homosexuals in America, the way we treat them is horrible. I've actually heard that some are killed and the murderers never see behind bars. I liked him a lot. His name was Thomas. He broke up with me because his parents found out he was homosexual and made him come home."

************

Adel couldn't believe what he was hearing. Jesse had been with another male.

"So you like guy's?"

"Yeah, I guess......Aw shit. I forgot you were a soldier for a bit. You're going to kill me now aren't you." Jesse said with fear in his eyes. 

"No! I'm not like them. You trusted me enough to tell me." He said looking down.

"Really? You don't mind?"

"No, I really don't. I guess it's because I've always wanted to be with another male but I knew I couldn't."

"So you've never had a boyfriend either?"

"No."

"Have you ever done anything with anyone?"

"You mean sexually? No."

Silence filled the room. Adel was forcing himself not to jump on Jesse. Instead he stood up and headed towards the door.

"Goodnight Jesse."

"Night Adel." 

**************

Jesse wanted Adel in his bed but he controlled himself. Adel was just curious and confused. He just wanted to help Jesse get home, so he could tell what he saw and stop it. Were they even friends? Jesse turned over and closed his eyes, pushing the thoughts out of his head. He missed his family and they already thought he was dead. If he went home and found someone, they could never know. If they found out, they would hate Jesse. Where would he go once he got out of here?