Letter 26

NO.26; A LETTER TO THE LAST PERSON THAT MADE YOU LAUGH

MAY 29th, 2014

Dear James,

It's always you isn't it? Like a circle spinning to its beginning, I always come back to you. It's tiring and I don't know if I can do it anymore.

It's weird how a day can begin like any another and end like you never imagined. I mean, one minute you're planning to head home after an intense revision session in the library and sleep forever and the next minute you're running into the boy you love in the middle of the high street. To be honest, you looked as surprised I did. It was just outside Waterstones and you looked vaguely pissed off for a second before you realised it was me.

An easy smile shaped your lips as you said, "Morgana!"

I was a little blindsided by you because you weren't in our usual grey and black sixth form uniform. You wore your army green bomber jacket over a white t-shirt and faded black jeans. I've always liked your style, it's so effortless and you always look like you'd just stepped off a runaway. I stared at you for a few seconds, my heart doing will little flips at just how good you looked.

I blinked, finally pulling myself together, "Oh, J-James, uh...I...uh...Hi..." I'm so eloquent aren't I? It was then that I noticed the SLR camera you had in your hands. I raised an eyebrow, "You taking pictures?"

You'd glanced down at the camera and then back to me, "Oh yeah...I needed to get out of the house, y'know clear my head."

I knew you liked photography, you'd mentioned it every once in a while. About how you liked to walk around town, just snapping up pictures of whatever caught your eye. You'd told me it calmed you down, made you feel a little grounded.

"What about you?" You asked, your green eyes flicking to meet mine, "What are you up to? Why are you lurking around the city centre?"

I chuckled, "Shut up, I'm not lurking. If you must know, James, I've been in the library for about three hours," I said, "I thought I would get some more revision before our English exam on Thursday."

We went on like that idly chatting about our exams, about how Sean Neumann had totally deserved that punch in the face from Evelyn 'cause let's face the guy's an arsehole and then you asked me to join you on your little walk around town.

"It'd be nice to have some company," you'd said, tilting your head a little the side in an adorable manner.

When you're looking at a girl like that James, like she's the only person in this world you could possible want to be with, it makes it really hard for her to say no.

"Yeah, alright," I grinned, "I'll grace you with my presence."

You laughed, "Wow, thank you so much."

Plus, what a better way to get a break from revision than to hang out with you? Brilliant, funny, you who wanted to spend some time with me. I didn't really get it but I wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I fell into step beside you.

We walked around town together for the next couple of hours, chatting and laughing and everything just felt so right with you. You snapped pictures of people walking by, of St. Barnabas' Cathedral, of the rose bushes and the café signs.

We were walking past the Theatre Royal Concert Hall and you'd just said something about Christine Wellington's new haircut that had me in tears, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going, which is when my foot caught in the one of the metal tram lanes and I stumbled. I would have fallen flat on my face if you hadn't grabbed a hold of my arm and pulled me up. An immediate wave of heat pumped through me because I'd felt it then, just how strong you are. You pulled my weight up, easy, with one hand and no sign of struggle on your face. It's almost embarrassing how hot I found it.