Chapter 8: A Dark World

"Aww, Flametooth! Honey, come look! Your little sister is ready to see the world!"

Her ears perked as a sliver of light entered her egg. She'd never seen the sun so bright before. It was always filtered and strangely tinted. Now, she saw nothing but yellow. She recognized that voice. She'd heard it for as long as she could remember.

 What was that? Shuffling sounds, followed by a strange sniffing close by.

"Mother, is it hatching?" a much higher pitched voice asked.

"Yes dear, it is."

"Oh! Mother, I can see her snout!"

More light poured in from the outside. She lifted her head and heard her egg break. Shards of its shell fell to the grayness below her paws. Suddenly, the entire egg was broken. All at once, it was cold. Some kind of invisible force was blowing on her. She squinted her eyes and looked around. There was a roof above. Perhaps she was in a larger egg now?

"Mother, she's here!" the tiny voice trilled.

She jumped and stared in front of her where the noise had come from. Directly across the way was a creature about her size, but slightly larger. He was brownish, with really vibrant orange eyes. Sitting next to him was a massive silhouette that resembled him, only brighter in color. She had a warmness about her that seemed soothing. Her eyes, although very far up, were green and comforting. 

"Whoa! She's so tiny!" the littler creature exclaimed. 

"You were as well, on your hatching day," the larger one purred.

The brown figure in front of her stepped forward and observed her. He snuffled her face and flapped a pair of strange structures on his back. They were tiny and thin.

"She's got yellow markings, mother. And look at her scales. They're so red!" he chortled happily.

The massive creature called "mother" laughed softly and bent down. Her head was gigantic and daintily structured. She smiled. Her teeth were big and shiny. 

The little one tried to copy the mother creature, contorting her face in an odd manor. It made the mother creature laugh.

"She looks just like your father," she stated sadly. 

Who was "father"?  

"Wow. Her eyes are like the ocean!" the other creature named Flametooth said.

"Yes, they're beautiful," mother creature sung. "What should we call her?"

The little one looked at them both. They seemed really happy to see her. Perhaps she would try and speak with them. She stumbled to her paws and blurted out the first thing that bubbled into her mouth.

"Sun!" 

She lost her balance and toppled over, meeting the cold ground with her face. She grumbled, glaring at the stones angrily. 

"I know!" Flametooth struggled between uncontrollable spurts of laughter. "Let's call her Sun-drops!"

Mother creature chuckled. "And why do you suppose that?" she asked.

Flametooth giggled some more. "Because that's what she said, and then she fell!"

The little one tore her gaze away from the ground and looked up at both of them again. She met the mother creature's emerald eyes with her own.

"How about Sundrop?" she asked, voice like silk.

Flametooth smiled and nodded happily. "Yes, that's a good name."