"Black Blood"

A frightening storm had gathered outside. Nothing but the crackling of thunder filled the tiny round room. From the jagged wooden walls hung dangling lanterns filled with red fires. A carpet of shaggy blue wool rested over an old floor full of splinters. On the furthest leeway, rows of creaking shelves held bottles and jars of colored liquids. They bubbled like boiling cauldrons beside a crumbling door frame. The entrance looked like it could cave in at any moment. 

The roof was low and crooked. Ribbons of bizarre medicines hung from loose nails in small cracks. In one corner of the room, a tiny window reached out into open air. Portions of it had been blocked by slabs of dark brown planks. Droplets of rain could spew in from the tiny gaps in the seal. Sitting in the center of the room was a rickety table crafted delicately from oak wood. It was ancient in appearance, sporting cracks and clefts as deep as canyons. 

Behind the piece of decaying furniture stood a very old FireClaw dragoness. Her scales had once been the color of flames, but the years had not been kind to her. Her hue resembled that of dust and soot. Her once long horns were broken, frail, and chipped. She could no longer see as she used to, and took to the art of aura sight; a method used to sense one's character rather than view it. The dragoness's wings still carried her, but she couldn't fly for long periods of time without feeling aches and pains. Her fire breath had left her as well. The thrill of the hot orange plumes had become a distant memory.

The old one listened to the storm outside and nodded her stout muzzle when another crack of thunder jammed the air. In her talons, she clutched a hand-made staff wound with precious metals. She ran a talon along the glittering silver shaft and traced the areas laced with gold. On the tip, her paw came to rest on that dazzling red ruby she had discovered moons ago. The memory was vivid, as was her sight. She recalled a feeling of awe, basking in the vermilion glow of the massive crimson diamond. With her own two paws, she had etched the jewel on the tip of her staff. Not long afterwards, her sight had deteriorated. She was almost blind now.

The dragoness lifted herself off the floor and crept towards the barricaded window. She reveled in the fresh stain of water on her scales and shuddered. It had been ages since she had felt that coolness.

"Big one tonight," she rasped to herself. The gale was growing stronger.

Wind was streaming in from somewhere outside. The old dragoness turned her head and listened to the sounds of her medicines clattering against one another. She knew that any other dragon would grow impatient with the racket. She, on the other hand, considered it melodic. Perhaps it was an escape from the constant quiet in her house.

"Yep, big one for sure."

She began to hear something else in the wind. The old one frowned and perked her aging ears. She allowed herself to close her misty eyes and listen to the whistling and howling of the storm.

Silence. Nothing but silence.

..........

No, that's....

.........

Ahh. It's been a long time since we've spoken.

The old dragoness nodded again. That sound on the wind had been the voice of a spirit. She was often visited by the souls of long lost FireClaws seeking peace, but it had been years since anyone from the other side had contacted her. She had begun to fear the worst.

Yes, yes. I agree, quite the storm. I stated as such only a moment ago. I do not fear the antics of nature. It's the circle of life, and we are not grand enough to fight it. Why do you come to me at such a time? Can't you see I'm a little busy?

.........

Okay, perhaps I'm not busy. I do not like to be bothered during weather like this though. What do you want?

..........

Could you be a bit more clear? I'm not fond of riddles.

..........

Damn spirits, always talking gibberish. Speak in plain dragonese, if you can!

..........

Oh.

............!

Oh, I see.

............

That's not good... that's not good at all.

...........

Within the next moon? Oh dear, oh my.

..........

W-well how do we stop it? There must be a way.

..........!

Five? Five of what? Five cans, five bowls, five rocks? Be specific!

..........

Five scales..? That makes no sense, you invisible blockhead!

..........

..........

Five scales then. Are you truly going to leave me with such a cryptic message?

..........!

I realize that. I know you can't just TELL me. That's against otherworldly rules, blah blah blah. Another hint would be nice though.

.........

A prophecy! Perfect, thank you. I'm sure I'll be able to get a bit more out of that.

.........

Uh-huh.

.........

Mmhmm. 

.........

Oh.

.........!

"The whole world will perish beneath black blood. Our only hope is the five." the dragoness said out loud.

She shook her head. That still wasn't exactly very clear. She perked her ears again and sighed. The spirit was gone. 

"You come into my house and give me a prophecy, and then leave. Thank you, spirit world. I appreciate your input," she grumbled. 

The dragoness peered blindly out the cracks in her window. The news had been delivered. It was sinister and foreboding. No amount of natural disasters or wars could amount to the devastation that was about to ensue. She knew what black blood meant, the only thing it could mean, for that matter. She had lived through something very similar, and it had been hell. What she couldn't make out though, was "the five." 

"What in great moons is a "five?"" she asked herself.

The old FireClaw knew she would have to take drastic measures in order to save the kingdom. She wavered and looked up at the ceiling in the direction of the queen's throne room.

"Our only hope is the five," she whispered. "A prophecy to be delivered to queen Sparkspyre at once."

The soothsayer nodded to herself once more and swept out of the room, staff in tow.