Chapter 2 continued

We kissed for a few minutes, her taste igniting an exceeding amount of butterflies in my stomach. I explored her mouth with my tongue and her body with my hands, absorbing her taste, the smell of cigarette smoke in the air, everything I felt at that moment.

I never wanted to let her go. It had always been difficult for me to understand why I always felt that way with Blaze. But after all that time, kissing her now, feeling her soft skin under my hands… I realized something that frightened me— I was in love with her.

My phone’s vibration in the pocket of my jeans pulled us away from each other. I gave her an apologetic look, although I got a paranoid feeling that she didn’t care. She hopped off of my car and wordlessly threw her burned-out cigarette onto the ground. She squished it with the toe of her shoes and walked away.

I dug into my pocket and pulled my phone out whilst taking a puff of my cigarette. I glanced about and saw that Blaze and Ethan were a couple feet away from me, casually talking and laughing.

The caller-ID read: Mom

About time she found out I was gone.

I ignored the call and quickly silenced my phone. I knew that if I didn’t, she’d rape my phone with calls all night long. Then, when I got home, she would ground me. Typical Mrs. Nicholas.

I put my phone back in my pocket and looked at Blaze. She caught my gaze and raised her eyebrows a little, but she didn’t ask who it was. I couldn’t help involuntarily wishing she had asked, but what I heard instead was, “Carter, I’ve got to get ready. You mind coming over until I do?”

I searched for an alternative meaning behind her question or a hint in her voice that she meant something more than just me waiting for her to get ready, but I didn’t find it. I had a feeling that was all we were going to do, and I nodded anyway.

“Will I get a tip afterwards?” I bit my lip at her suggestively.

“A tip?” She cocked her eyebrow and laughed. “Carter Nicholas, you’ve had enough kisses for one day.”

I couldn’t believe she said that. It brought a thousand questions to my mind— didn’t she want to kiss me?

“Let’s go,” she looked over at Ethan and he tossed me my car keys. I threw my cigarette on the ground, not bothering to squish it since it had burnt away long ago.

Blaze had never invited me over without a hint of sexual interest. Without a hint that we’d be doing something more than 'dress-up and make-up.'

I sighed worriedly.

“What are you waiting for, Mr. King,” she walked over to the passenger’s side.

“Dibs on shotgun!” Ethan suddenly shouted, running to the door.

Blaze pulled the door open and quickly sat inside. “I’m sorry, but whoever kisses the driver gets to sit next to him.”

“Well whoever kisses me gets to sit on my lap in the driver’s seat,” Ethan teased.

Since when did Ethan tease Blaze?

Without a word, I entered my car and waited impatiently for Ethan to disappear. All this confusion was pissing me off. I was getting irritated and frustrated and… I shook my head hastily, trying to clear it. Ethan was tugging at Blaze, trying to force her out of my car.

It was all too much— the way they were flirting, the way he was touching her, tickling her, the way Blaze’s musical laughter filled the air.

I lost it.

“Ethan!” My voice was so loud that Blaze flinched beside me. “Beat it.”

Blaze and Ethan froze instantly, their eyes wide, their hands still gripping each other from their little tug-of-war session. After a long look at my face, Ethan nodded and left without pounding my fist.