The Council and Resistance

Sierra awoke with a start.  She had dreamt that she was in a forest with an elf.  Opening her eyes, she saw it was not a dream. 

“We are here, Sierra” Sheridan smiled down at her.  Sierra covered a yawn.

“Where’s here?” She asked sleepily. 

“Welcome to the Kingdom of the Elves” Sheridan laughed.  Sierra looked around and saw nothing but trees.  She wondered at the lack of people, or elves, but said nothing, unwilling to take a chance on offending her new friend.  Sheridan chuckled as if guessing her thoughts. 

“Once we pass through the Great Tree, we will be in the kingdom”.  He pointed to a magnificent oak, or two oaks that twisted together to form an archway. The black stallion pranced through it and Sierra squeezed her eyes shut.

“Look” Sheridan poked her and Sierra opened her eyes.  The forest ahead was bustling with elves and animals.  There were small houses built into the tall trees with small knobs protruding from the trunks. 

“We believe in living in harmony with our fellow creatures”. Sheridan explained.  Elves greeted Sheridan with a bow, while they gave Sierra strange looks which she could not interpret.  The animals, ranging from birds to wolves, flitted through the trees and around the elves. 

Sheridan dismounted and offered Sierra his hand.  She took it and leaped down.  The black stallion was led away by an elf dressed like Sheridan.

“He will be well cared for, just like Darkon”.  Sheridan said, seeing her hesitant look. 

“Let’s get you cleaned up for the Grand Council, Sierra”.  She asked what the Grand Council was, and Sheridan explained the Council was only held in dire times.  It was made up of representatives from all the races that opposed Ramon. 

Sierra desperately hoped Ember would send a dragon; then she could go home!

Sheridan led her to another little door carved into a maple tree.  He knocked softly and the door instantly opened to reveal a young female elf with hair and eyes matching Sheridan. 

“Sierra, this is my sister Rosalinda.  She will help you prepare for the Grand Council.  I’ll be back later to escort you” With that, Sheridan left her with his sweet sister. 

Rosalinda showed Sierra to a bath chamber with a tub filled to the brim with hot water.  Sierra gratefully stripped off her grimy clothes and sank below the surface.  She scrubbed off the layers of dirt and blood from her traveling and the battle with the Banshees.  When she was satisfied that she was clean, Sierra lay in the warm water, pondering the last month. 

She finally rose and dried off.  Rosalinda gave her a beautiful dress.  It was fit for a queen, with a skirt so black it was almost blue and a tight fitting bodice with the finest chainmail Sierra had ever seen.

“It’s for your travels as well”. The elf smiled.  Sierra took in the long skirt and frowned.

“I don’t normally wear dresses to travel.  They’re hard to fight in”. Sierra tried to explain as nicely as she could.  It would not do to insult an elf while she was here.  Rosalinda chuckled. 

“A dress is not all that it is” She pulled twice on the hem of the dress, and it shriveled and shrunk.  Two seconds later, Sierra found herself looking at a shirt and a pair of pants.  Rosalinda tugged the hem again, and the pants blossomed out into the dress once more. 

“That’s amazing!” Sierra exclaimed, laughing along with the elf.

“Well come on, let’s get you into it before my brother shows up”.