Can I Lay By Your Side?

I ran. Faster then I had ever ran. I could feel the knife Niklaus stabbed in my back. How could he do this to me. He was the vampire who always embraced his true self, who killed when he felt like it-
Rage made my blood boil and I stopped. I heard their heartbeats, their laughter and they voices and grinned. "This is going to be a lot of fun." I whispered before I started running again.

*Klaus POV*
Elijah sat in a corner, guilt flickered in his eyes. "How could you let her go?" Marcel asked my brother in disbelief and I shot him a look. "She tricked me." He mumbled and got up. I looked at him as my thoughts returned to Penelope. "Just because you let her. This shows how over her you really are, Elijah. You let her free and by that you risk her safety and the pact we made with the witches!" I exclaimed and took a step towards him. "Enough." Marcel said and looked at me. "You are right but this is not helping now. We need to find her." I nodded slowly, stepping away from my older brother although I knew I couldn't forget what he'd done. "We need to split." I said and they both nodded.
"I will go and look across the river." Marcel suggested and I looked at Elijah. "I'm looking through the Frenchquarter and you, brother can look for her in the rest of the town." He nodded before he turned around and left the mansion. Marcel was about to do the same when I stopped him. "Marcel." He turned back around. "Thank you." He just nodded before he disappeared.

I was walking through the town as I tried to filter the normal sounds and find Penelope but it was almost impossible. She knew how to hide and I knew she wouldn't start hunting until night. For the third time I found myself searching for Damon's number on my phone but did not call him because I wasn't sure what he would do and most importantly what he could do. The words from Marcel echoed in my head as I walked passed a witch shop. I wasn't ready to give up on her and I wouldn't but I also needed to make sure that the rest of my family was save. Suddenly my phone buzzed. "Hello?" I asked after I'd picked up. "Klaus?" It was Cami. "You need to help me. Kieran is dying." I sighed. "Okay, Cami. I am on my way." After I hung up I texted Marcel and Elijah. "I need to help Cami. Keep searching."

*Marcel's POV*
I had been searching for hours when I got Klaus message. I was concerned. Was this about Kieran?
But finding Penelope was far more important right now. The docs were empty, no sound of her or anyone else. Was this really how it would end? I dialed her number for the hundred time.
"Hey, it's Penelope. If it's important leave a message." I sighed. "Penelope, it's me. I am worried, okay? Let's just forget that all of this happened. I know that you didn't love me but you do love Klaus, right? Please don't do this to him-- To me. If you're going of the edge there is no way back for you. Please. Call me when you get this." I whispered before I hung up again. Though I would never admit it to anyone else; I did love her.
*Flashback*
I walked into the mansion where Diego's eyes met me. "Where is she?" I asked and looked around but no one was answering. "Tell me where she is!" I demanded but Diego was just shaking his head slowly.
I looked at him before I ran upstairs over to the small living room. "PENELOPE!" I screamed but she did not reply. "Penelope, where are you?" I ran into the bedroom. The bed was made, the door to the closet was wide open and her things were gone. "No." I gasped and rushed through every room, screaming her name desperately. No one replied. I stopped in front of the dresser where her parfum and a picture of her brother had stood. "NO!" I shouted and swept down the remaining things on the dresser before I sunk to my knees, looking into the sky. "Penelope." I whispered as my heart shattered. I have loved that woman and now she was gone. I jumped to my feet as rage took over my sadness. I scanned through the room for the documents. Without looking left or right I signed them.
I would go to army, I had nothing left to lose.
*End of Flashback*
I stood in an alley and felt the tears forming in my eyes. I loved her and I lost her through all of this, not just as a lover. Although as a friend. I felt ashamed and what was worse; I knew she did too.

*Elijah's POV*
I stopped in front of the cemetery. Niklaus might given up but I wasn't. I wouldn't lose her. Not after Rebekah left and Hayley moved out to live the wolfs. Every time I closed my eyes to concentrate on any sound, flashbacks of the night I kissed her returned and I knew that losing her would hurt me much more than I admitted. Penelope always surprised me with her glory and her power. The way she fixed each and everyone of us was a gift that we just threw away. Where were we when she broke into a million pieces? I had to think of the night she told me we had to stop doing this.. The look in her eyes had told me so much more than this. She was torn apart by her feelings for me and my brother. I leaned against a wall and breathed heavily. I was not ready to let her go.
*Flashback*
I heard her whimpering in her sleep and opened the wooden door slowly. When I saw the chain around her wrist I flinched. "Elijah?" She asked and looked up. I sent her a small smile. "Hello, Penelope." She sat up. "You saved me from--" She stopped. Her bottom lip was trembling and I just nodded. "Where was Niklaus?" She asked and I heard the desperation in her voice. "There are so many things" I started but she cut me off. "You have other things on your mind as well, I mean we all have! But you were there despite everything that happened! You were a friend! I just need a friend-" Her voice broke and so did my heart. I moved closer and opened the chain. She pulled me into a hug and I felt her tears on my shirt. "Penelope." I breathed in her sent. "Thank you for everything that you did! It means a lot to me." I just nodded as tears began to form in my own eyes. "Sorry." She mumbled and before I realized what happened she snapped my neck and my whole world turned black.
*End of Flashback*
I shook my head and opened my eyes. "Hello, Elijah." My jaw almost dropped. She stood in front of me, still in the dress from last night with a halfhearted smile on her face. "Penelope!" I exclaimed and walked towards her but she just shook her head and stumbled backwards. "Don't." I looked at her.
"Elijah I can't come with you and nothing will be alright again! This is who I am right now!" She shouted and looked at me with pleading eyes. "You can't do this to us-" I whispered but she just shook her head. "I will return to you." She whispered when my phone buzzed. It was Hayley. When I looked up again she was gone.

*Penelope's POV*
Seeing Elijah like this had made me question my behavior. I was in some old house, hiding from everyone. I looked at the ring on my finger. I loved that man with all my heart but I was I still being truthful? I shivered when all the hidden emotions came rushing down on me. I listened to the message from Marcel again. Tears were streaming down my face before I closed my eyes.

*****************