Chapter 8- Valentine's Day

A few weeks had passed since my movie trip with David. We still talked and ocassionally he said hi to me in the hallway.. even in front of his friends. It was a complete 180 from what we used to be, nothing.

It was three weeks before spring break and a week before Valentine's Day. Our school started offering carnations that you could buy for other people for a dollar. I had received a flower before once from a friend and it was really nice. I would love to have received another but I didn't expect that from anyone. The school also was offering singing valentines too which were choir kids who came to one of your classes and sang you a song. Those were about $10.

It was Monday and Valentine's Day was Thursday. Sophie came up to me in the hallway one day while I was at my locker. Out of breath she said "I heard *deep breath* David *deep breath* talking to his *gasp* friends and saying that *breath* he was getting a carnation for a girl he liked and one as a prank!" "What does this have to do with me?" I replied. "I think you're the prank. I think he's playing you!" She frowned.

I walked away slowly trying to process what I had heard. I felt my eyes well up. Why did I feel like crying he was just a person. Sophie could be wrong.. she had to be.

Finally Thursday came and like clockwork so did my carnation. On the card that comes with it all it had was a smiley face. I felt like it was David's flower.. I was hoping it wasn't a joke.

Later in the day I got another one, this time from my friend Samantha. She was in 9th grade and I had tutored her in Spanish. It was sweet and it made up for the possible prank flower.

Finally Chemistry came around last period and I tried to avoice David the best I could. Of course he was there when I walked in and was smiling real big at me. Really really charmingly. I gave him a half smile out of the corner of my mouth, the kind you give a stranger who looks at you for too long.

I sat down and the bell eventually rang. The teacher started the lesson when we heard footsteps coming towards the classroom. I had this strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. Four drama kids walked in, one with a guitar and the teacher stopped talking.

"We have a song for Allie?" In my head I almost died. On the outside I tried to smile and look excited.

One of my friends was one of the singers and saved me the embarassment of sitting in the front of the room and let me sit where I was. They handed me a note that said "Thanks" with another smiley face on it. They started to sing I See The Light from the movie Tangled. 

I tried not to blush but the whole class was looking at me. I saw David look at me and smile. Finally the song ended and the singers left and class carried on as usual. Everyone around me seemed to go along with everything the teacher was saying but all I could think about was the note. Just a simple "thanks." Was is from David? If so why? When? WHY?

Class ended and practice had been rained out. My mom took me home and I was scrolling through tumblr when I got a text from David.

David: Hey

Me: Hi

David: What's up?

Me: Just on tumblr.. pretty bored hbu?

David: On twitter,bored too. Did you  get any flowers today?

Me: Yeah a couple. I know one was from a friend but I don't know who sent the other.

David: I might have an idea:)

Me: Was it you?

David: Maybe

Me: Why? Was it a joke..

David: No! Why would you think that?

Me: I just heard word earlier this week that you might be sending someone one as a prank.

I suddenly felt embarrassed about acusing him of it.

David: Oh. I sent Katie the other one. Hers was a joke. Everyone knows that she tries to hard to get my attention ;)

Me: What about the singing Valentine was that you too?

David: Guilty

Me: Why did you send it during Chem?

David: I wanted to see your face when you got it. I didn't want you to get all embarrassed :)

Me: I tried not to trust me:) Thanks though it meant a lot!

David: No problem:)

The mystery had been solved.