Chapter 11

*** BEN'S POV ***

The sound of sirens ringing through the streets woke me up that morning. It felt like a ring through the apartment, waking up any kind of life that was upon us in this building. I layed there in silence for a few seconds, listening to the sounds of cars and horns, blocking them all out as I could hear Cassie breathing heavily beside me. 

I moved my head slightly towards the left, looking at her, analyzing her every flaw and perfection. Remembering last night and how strangely perfect it all was. Even though it had only been a few minutes of silence, I still couldn't get over how beautiful it was. Then I began to think about Sam and how much I missed her. I could live without her, I'd proved that theory possible and Cassie was helping me along the way, I just don't think she realised how much she was helping, how much she did mean to me. How if we'd never started talking I'd not have a clue where I would be in life right now.

I continued to watch her sleep, something I found comfort in somehow. She stirred slightly, then sat up rubbing her eyes rapidly and giving me a strange yet shy and innocent look, as if she felt guilty and confused for lying next to me. I smiled and sat up beside her, my eyes edging towards the window, which was just complete brightness from the snow. There was no sun, just white clouds. It wasn't stopping anytime soon.

'Morning' I said, climbing out of bed and heading over to the window to get a better look of it, it seemed so much thicker and colder than yesterday. I turned back to look at Cassie, who was just watching me with the covers pulled up covering half of her face as she sat cross legged on my bed.

'Morning' she muttered back, 'I should probably go and take a shower', I walked back over to her as she stood up, unnable to sustain eye contact with me. I just kept watching her, she could be so awkward, 'do you want to share?' I winked at her, our bodies now only centimetres apart.

Cassie blushed, looking down slightly as her cheeks turned an even deeper shade of red, a grin formed across my face. I couldn't help but chuckle at her, 'maybe next time, yeah?'

She looked up at me and shook her head before rapidly walking out of the room, I turned around, heading straight towards my shower, wishing I'd persuaded her a little bit more. I heard the shower in the next room switch on which woke me up from thinking about shameful shower sex. 

After showering myself, singing some old Led Zeppelin song and lazily trying to blowdry my hair (which I gave up on within about ten minutes as I just couldn't be bothered this morning), I got dressed and walked out into the living room, switching on the TV to show some shitty british daytime television programme. I walked over to the counter of the kitchen, flipping the kettle on and checking my phone. I had 3 missed calls from Danny and a text, basically saying a friend was having a party tonight and that Cassie and I should go even though it was quite a drive away.

After a few minutes, Cassie walked in and smiled shyly at me. Her hair looked longer than usual and she didn't have any make up on. A scarf was wrapped neatly around her neck and she was playing with both ends as she sat down in front of me, I handed her her cup of tea, not saying a word.

'Ah, perfect' she whspered, taking a sip.

I chuckled, rolling my eyes at her as I sat beside her on another stool, 'is it okay if we go out tonight?' I asked, 'there's a party a few hours from here'

'That sounds cool' she nodded,  standing up a few seconds later as she walked over to the huge dark oak book shelf, stacked with hardbacks and the occasional paperback, from Shakespeare classics to your favourite horror story, everything was there. I loved reading, when I could anyway. That's a side not many people know about me, I love books and reading and figuring out the criminal throughout a murder mystery.