Chapter Five

Hey guys! Been five months and I've finally been able to push myself to write despite the busy schedule. I suggest you read the chapter four before reading this one because you might've forgotten the whole story. Hahaha.

Chapter Five

"So how come you're here? I thought all the teachers had some kind of meeting?" I asked, not quite sure if it sounded rude or not.

"Yeah, well I'm an intern so I'm not really counted as one," he said. We were already a bit far from the main place and there is almost no one here, I think it's only Darren and I who are wandering off this side of the beach. We were nearing a sign that said "private property of Kouris" but Darren didn't stop walking. I, on the other hand, stopped.

"Darren, I don't think we should go there..." I drifted off, scanning around the place.

"Why not?" he faced me with this adorable curious face. DID I JUST SAY ADORABLE? Brain what is happening right now?

"It said on the sign, 'private property'. We're trespassing, I don't about you but I have a clean record in the police station and I want to keep it that way."

He started laughing at me and I was so confused. Did it sound like a joke? I'm being serious right now.

"Are you implying that I have bad records? Wow, and here you are still following me."

I gaped at him, "I am so not following you anymore, I was just saying that I have a clean record." I started walking away and muttered to myself, "Right, this was so not a good idea."

"Noelle," Darren called as he started walking towards me. I stopped to face him and I can't help but feel my heart race. He is actually smiling, for the first time ever. But I had to keep my composure like it didn't affect me at all, which is a total lie.

"Relax, I was joking. And plus, this is my private property. There's nothing to worry about, love," he said, still smiling at me.

My heart just raced even more, if that is even possible. What is he doing to me? I'm not sure if I could ever get used to this yet, at least I don't know if I should trust someone like this again. But all the doubts are being tested right now as he puts his hand out for me to take.

"So what do you say?"

I looked into his eyes and somehow I found myself reluctantly placing my hand in his. I felt some kind of spark and felt my lips tug upwards.

"Yeah, what could go wrong?" He chuckled and we walked towards this gigantic beach house. He opened the house and I could feel the homey aura right away. Sure it had some classy furniture but something about this house just makes it homey. He let go of my hand and I felt the need to grab on to his hand but what the hell was I thinking? So I watched him go to the kitchen wordlessly. And just when I thought that I was supposed to stand there looking lost, he turned to face me and told me to take a seat.

I sat on the couch and took a look around once again. The walls were pale blue and the floor was wood. He seems to have so much pictures hanging on the walls of the living room, some big some small. I stood up to look at the picture nearest to me. It was a picture of Darren giving a big grin standing with what seems to be his family by the shore. He seemed so alive and I can't help but smile too. The picture looked pretty recent to me. Then I moved to the picture on top of a piano. It was a picture of his graduation with our principal, receiving his diploma.

I find him really different from how I see him in the pictures. In pictures he seems so happy and in real life, he's pretty reserved. But considering him taking me here, that's something not so reserved, right? What's taking him so long anyway? I didn't want to be the nosy guest so I decided to play the piano while waiting for him. The piano is beautiful, sure it's not grand but it's white, clean white. My fingers pressed on the first chord to the song Give Your Heart a Break by Demi Lovato. And I started to play as I sing the song. Once I finished it off with the last chord, I heard Darren clapping and turn to look at him holding an amused smile.

"I'm impressed," he says, amusement lacing in his voice. I scoffed at him.

"I wasn't trying to impress you anyway," I said, rolling my eyes playfully, smiling at him. He chuckled and made his way to the couch, placing some drinks and food on the coffee table. I walked to sit on the couch across him.

"What's this?" I gave him a questioning look. He poured some of the juice to my glass and then to his.

"I just thought that you might be hungry since it's already past lunch time," he said, handing me some tissue. I muttered a thank you and looked back at him, trying to figure him out. He prayed for our food and we started eating. And let me tell you, it's so rare to find a guy around here who cooks, let alone boiling water, and Darren just got extra points for this. It's really, really good.

"Why are you being so nice?" I asked him, he feigned being shocked at my question and questioned me back. "Why are you being nice?"

This time, I raised my eyebrow at him. "How in the span of thirty minutes did I show you that I am nice?"

"Well you didn't question me if I was bringing you here to murder you or if I was going to leave you stranded here," he said. I laughed at his statement.

"Darren, seriously? I'm not that cliché. I mean look at this place, it doesn't look like a murderer's house, does it?" I say, still laughing at him. He nodded his head, as if agreeing with me. Just then my phone went off and I picked it up without looking at the caller's ID.

"Hello?" I asked, watching Darren eat his food. He looks really good even when he has a concentrated look on his face. I think he has Greek blood, since he did say that this is his property and it said in the sign that it belongs to Kouris. He looked up to meet my gaze and held it there.

"ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING GIRL?!" the person on the phone, Diana, asked. I quickly looked away from Darren, down to my food.

"Sorry, what were you saying?"

She sighed through the phone and repeated what she was meant to say. "I said that we're already in the parking lot. Where are you? Let's get going already."

"Oh right, sorry, I'll be there in five. Sorry, see you." I hung up and stood up at the same time he stood up.

"Going already?" he asked, whilst walking me out the door.

"Yeah, thanks for today. I guess I'll see you at school," I said, then turned around to walk away without waiting for his response, since I'm already in a hurry. But I stopped abruptly once I realized something. I turned to look back and saw him still standing there.

"You haven't answered my question."

"Maybe I'll show you what nice is next time," he said, turning around to go back in. I bit my lip, trying to suppress a grin.

I walked as quickly as I can to the parking lot and found the squad sitting on the hood of the cars. Aren't those going to break? Their weights aren't that light alright. Diana was the first one to spot me and she held a relieved look.

"So glad you're here. Come on, you'll be hitching a ride with Joel," I turn to look at Joel who smiled at me before getting in the car. Diana seemed to notice the perplexed look on my face.

"What's wrong, Elle?" she asked. I just shook my head and finally met her gaze.

"Nothing, I'll see you tomorrow," I said, giving her a hug and went around to Joel's car.

I can't believe for once, I forgot about Joel. And it's all because of Darren. Darren Maverick Kouris.

~_~*

THANK YOU GUYS FOR STILL READING THIS BOOK :) I know it's a short chapter, but really, I promise the next one will be longer. Please don't give up on it. It'll get better and better. Have a great weekend everyone! x