Chapter One

America, a nation reborn. UN-employment is at one percent, crime at an all time low. All because once a year, all crime is legal. Once a year. for twelve hours the Annual Purge, during these twelve hours any and all crime is legal. Burglary, murder, rape, all of these and more are completely legal to do. This day was created to have everyone and any one release any type of hate, revenge, or violence that the people of the nation has held in for the past year. My name is Austin Jennings, and this is my sixteenth year in the Purge. But this year is different, you see it is the twenty fifth Annual Purge were instead of having a set starting time, we are randomly warned minutes before the Purge began.

The annoying buzz of the warning bell of my school was basically screaming at me, telling me that I was late to my next class, which sent me sitting straight up in my desk, in a cold sweat. I just woke up from a short nightmare of last years Purge, when I witnessed a kid my age be brutally murdered by a few people from out of town. “Damn it!” I basically yelled as I jumped to me feet, flinging my bag over my shoulder picking up my geometry book and heading out of the class room, into the crowded hallway of my school. “The home of the 'bulldogs',” I say in a whisper.

 “Hey Austin!” Jasmine yells as she walked past me in the hallway. Jasmine was a friend of mine who I had a class with next, “You're late!” She yells with a giggle.

“I know, I know.” I say with a smile. I walk down the hallway familiar faces pass by, most of them smiling back at me, me being the good person I am I smile back. Though a few of the people could go missing I wouldn't show any sign of remorse. I stop at my locker, quickly putting in my combination. I reach the finally number, opening my locker. I toss my geometry book in the locker, pulling out the book for my fourth period, Psychology. The one and only hour of the school day that I can actually enjoy. Shutting my locker I began the short track back down the hallway, walking into the Psychology class. The three only classmates sat in their desk. Daniel on his phone, Kelly doing last minute check up on the assignment from the night before, and Jasmine talking about a crush she has on some kid.

 Wait we had an assignment! I mentally scream. I rush to my desk pulling a pencil from my pocket. I tossed my Psychology book on my desk as I sat down pulling out the packet we got a day ago. Flipping through the pages I noticed that I had most of it finished. A sigh of relief rush through my body. Quickly on the two answers I had left, I scribble down a quick back accurate answers.

 “Well, since anytime today the Purge will be began I'm not going to give you any assignment.” I look around the at my classmates, a worry expression cover the usual happy faces. I lay my hand down on the gun tucked in a holster I had hidden under my jacket. II guess they did not come prepared. I've never really murdered, or even though about it. Every year on this day my goal is to stay alive, with out killing anyone.

 My head snaps up to the intercom as a faint bell escaped from the intercom warning us that someone was about to speak. “This is your emergency broadcasting system, announcing the commencement of the annual Purge. At the siren all emergency services will be suspended for twelve hours. Your government thanks you for your participation.” A deep, almost electronic voice announces through the intercom follow by the Purge bell. Mr. Long then slaps a button on his desk, which sends a wall of metal in front of the only window in the room, and the one door.

 My body begging to shake with anticipation, What will happen to my brother and little sister? Will they be okay, or will the fall to the doom of the Purge? But I do know I have to survive these twelve hours, for my family. I once again look around at my fellow classmates and teacher, horror etch on their face. There's just four of them, I can take them. I mentally reassure myself as I a pull out the hand gun.

 “I'm not wanting to hurt anyone, but don't think I won't.” I say as I jump up out of my desk. I walk away from them, putting distance form the others as much as I could. Out of the corner of my eye I notice Daniel charging in my direction. Quickly I point the barrel of the gun at his moving figure, sending him to a screeching halt. “Like I said before, I'm not wanting to hurt anyone.” I than slowly put the gun back into its halter, than slowly I put my hands in the air. The air is thick with worry and anticipation. Kelly, Daniel, Jasmine and Mr. Long plops back down in their chair, a sigh escaping each of their lips.