Sweet Memories

[ Next Day ]

Kaoru's View

With Hikaru by my side, we strolled down the hallways solemnly. Neither of us really wanted to go to the Host Club now that we had Dai in it. I had my own reasons to hate the man, but Hikaru has completely different ones than my own. I hated him for what he did to my beloved girlfriend. He practically tortured her and made her feel like she was useless; violated. He ruined any possible chances she had with a bright future. And his cousin Iada only made that worse.

However, Hikaru on the other hand had a different look on things. Yes, he hated Dai and Iada just as much as I did along with the other hosts, but Hikaru wanted to kill Dai. How do I know this? Well, instead of abusing me to no end, yesterday he ranted his heart out about Dai and his stupidity. If I can remember correctly, he told me that 'Dai should go burn in a hole' and 'That worthless asshole doesn't deserve to roam the same hallways as we, the Host Club, use!'

'I want to kill that bastard just like Tomoyo did to his cousin!'

Now at that, I have to admit I was shocked to no end. Hikaru was one of the few people who despised Tomoyo after she killed Iada. He called her a murderer and a list long of other horrendous names. But for him to actually tell me that he wanted to kill another person? That wasn't something the Kaoru I knew would say. Killing others was something that he'd never think of.

Well, until now...

"Hey Kaoru, do you think that Dai is actually going to try and be a Host?" Hikaru asked me with an eyebrow raised in curiosity.

Pushing my previous thoughts to the back of my mind, I pursed my lips together and furrowed my eyebrows together tightly, "I'm not too sure. But to be rather blunt, no... I don't think he'll go and try to be a Host. Still, you don't really know what to expect from him at this point... He did ask for this." I answered.

Hikaru nodded at my response and looked straight ahead. I couldn't tell whether he like my answer or not. And to be frank, I was expecting a slap to my face any second now. That wasn't what I received, however.

"You're right, Kaoru. I guess I can't just go around assuming things..." He muttered out.

My eyes widened a bit at this, "R-Really? You think that, Hikaru?" I blurted out.

He looked me in the eye. "Of course I do. I mean, if Tomoyo was able to change from an innocent, kind, and adorable little girl, to some crazy, deranged murderer... Then yeah, I can see that there's a slim chance for Dai to change for the greater good." He stated.

"Unlike Tomoyo, he'll be doing something good."

My hands balled up at my side, clenching my hands together so tightly that my knuckles turned white. He did not just do that. Please tell me that he didn't just compare Dai to Tomoyo.

Shaking in anger, I stuck my hand out and blocked Hikaru from walking any further. "What do you think you're saying?" I hissed out, glaring at my brother.

He rolled his eyes, a small, sly smile tugging at the corner of his lips. He knew very well what he said wasn't needed nor appreciated. Hikaru was pulling my strings.

And it was working...

"Oh, nothing much... I'm just trying to prove a point here. If Tomoyo went all evil on us, then maybe Dai here will change for the better." He stated once more, "What did you think I was trying to say?"

I gritted my teeth together so tightly that my jaw was hurting, "Hikaru, watch what you say. I won't hesitate to hurt you, even if you're of my own blood." I sneered out.

His eyes widened, "Kaoru, are you being serious right now? Don't tell me you still believe in her. Give up already! She's dead and you need to move on from the past!" He shouted in frustration.

I clenched my fists together. They were itching for a taste of Hikaru's face.

"Hikaru...from this moment on, if I see you anywhere near Tomoyo I will not hesitate to harm you at all. Heed my warning, and while you're at it..."

But with all the things I've been going through for going against him... Is it worth it? One hit won't hurt too much.

"Think about how you're going to handle life without me."

Don't think about the consequences, Kaoru. This is for Tomoyo, the love of your life. Do what you think is right, for her... I smiled faintly.

"Exactly what I said... From here on out, we're not brothers. Just two strangers." 

Hikaru rose an eyebrow at the small smile on my lips, "What are you smiling about, idiot?" He scowled.

I shook my head and let out a low chuckle. "Oh, nothing much. I'm just trying to prove point here." I mused out, mimicking what he had told me as an excuse earlier for comparing Dai and Tomoyo.

I smirked darkly. I was about to do something I would most likely regret once I get home.

"Two strangers with no recollection of each other whatsoever."

Still, I can't believe what I said a year ago. Hikaru isn't the boss of me. He can't and will not control me any longer. Now, when it comes to Tomoyo, I'll do anything to defend her pride, her courage. I'll defend her.

Now then, it's time for me to be a rebel...

I walked closer to Hikaru as he glared me down.

"Don't you dare come any closer. We need to head to class! Knock out of it and get yourself together. We need to leave--!" He started, only to get cut off by my fist.

When my fist made contact with Hikaru's cheek I couldn't help but grin. It felt so good to be a rebel. It felt so good showing him that I'm not his toy any longer.

I'm independent. I don't need him any longer. From this moment on, I'm taking what I said back then seriously.

I grinned and ran down the school's corridors, "Tomoyo... I haven't given up on you yet, just you wait!"

"I'm coming for you!"

~*~

Deep down in his heart, Kaoru never forgot about Tomoyo. He never once doubted her. And he never gave up on her, because he knew that somewhere, in some place, he would find answers for all the questions he had.

Despite her death affecting him more than it did for the others, Kaoru was determined more than anyone. All the great memories he had with her only made him stronger.

The time he spent with her.

The kisses and hugs they shared.

The amount of time they spent together.

And let's not forget that day when he took her out to a small amusement park.

Ah, yes... Those were, sweet-

Sweet memories.