five / glitch

For the tenth time I switched off and on the wifi router because nothing was loading on my phone, it started almost an hour ago when I tried to load Instagram. I cursed at myself quietly a few times before closing my eyes in frustration. Who knew internet meant that much to me?

I was rudely interrupted by Genevieve calling me, I let it ring out as my head and heart ached at the pictures of her and Luke running through my head from earlier this afternoon. She called again and this time I had pressed decline.

"Is everything okay? You're not picking up my calls?? If you're busy I understand but you have to check Instagram right now babe!" Read the text from Genevieve.

Fuck off, was all I could think. I didn't bother replying to her, it made me more frustrated that she told me to check Instagram because I had no internet. If it's a post of Luke's or anything like that I do not want to see it.

I paced my room with my hands on my head, my phone started buzzing again, seriously Genevieve?

I looked at the screen and took a breath before nervously pressing answer.

"Hey, Evie. I just wanted to say I really enjoyed today, I'm so glad I... Got the courage to get your number in the first place," Logan said through the phone, sounding as nervous as I felt.

"I really enjoyed it too, thanks for the milkshake again!" I sat on the end of the bed wondering where this conversation could be going.

"You're welcome!" He paused for a second after, "are you free again soon?"

I chewed my lip. "How soon?"

"Tomorrow?" He answered anxiously. I opened my mouth to answer but the surprise had stolen my voice, I couldn't believe he wanted to see me already.

"I should be," I replied, picking at my nails.

"Sweet." He exhaled with relief, it made me smile. "Have you checked Instagram by any chance?"

"Ugh, not yet! My phone must have a glitch so Instagram keeps crashing." I rubbed the side of my head with my free hand.

"Oh really?" He sounded surprised. "Can I ask you a question? You have to answer in complete honesty." I furrowed my eyebrows at his sudden change in tone.

"Depends." I racked my brain in the short seconds wondering what he could possibly want to know.

"Do you like me?" He asked the question so easily that my mind went blank. "As a person, a friend," he clarified.

"Well yeah, of course I do!" I enthused. I shook my head gently in embarrassment at the thought of me thinking he was asking if I had a crush on him.

"What do you like about me?"

"I like that you can start a conversation with a girl you've never met before and take her to get a milkshake by the end of the day." I giggled and he did too. "You have really nice hugs, you smell pretty good too."

"Thanks," he laughed.

I mentally face palmed myself before moving on with the conversation. "You're kind and very considerate." I smiled to myself, thinking about how he treated me today. "Such a gentleman," I said half sarcastically.

"How so?" I could hear the playfulness in his voice.

"You held doors open for me, you paid for my milkshake- I'll pay you back for that sometime." My eyes focused on the money notes lying on my dresser.

"Don't be silly," he said in a light tone. "I spent most of my time checking you out from the front, by holding the doors open for you I could get a good look from the back."