Fever Rising Chapter 3

Chapter 3- In Cold Blood

I woke up and immediately panic filled my chest.  I was panicked because it was still pitch black when my eyes were opened.  Then I realized I was blindfold.  No light filtered through the thin material covering my eyes.  My hand went up to untie it but a sharp voice interjected “Oy! Kid you touch that and you will be in a world of pain.” So I sat there unaware of my surroundings only knowing there must be one other person where I am.  This was a new form of torture.  I couldn’t just sit here unknowing of anything.  It would drive me slowly insane.  Finally, after waiting an hour in the dank dark another voice spoke out to me “You’re safe to take it off now he’s gone.”  So I did as I was informed and slowly took off my blindfold to have my heart plummet into my stomach.  Sitting on my right was an Asian kid with his hands cuffed, but what made my stomach twist was one of my friends to my left curled on the ground eyes wide open seeing into space.  It was Angelica.  Why she was here baffled me almost as much as I realized we were in a cell.  Not a nice old prison cell with bars to see our fellow inmates.  Nope, we had solid stone walls; no windows; a dim light in the center of the room; and a huge golden and brown door.  It looked as if it was made of copper and gold.

            So the first thing I did here in my cozy little cottage was to walk over to Angelica and see her status.  She was breathing normally and her pulse was completely normal.  Well this day just went from crappy to well I’m not supposed to use words like that. 

            “Hey uh buddy do you know why we are here?’ I asked the lone kid.

“We are here because we chose to defy them.  We couldn’t stand by and watch.  I’m Dylan. I was put here because one day I was left orphaned by a freak accident.  I knew it was no accident.  Eagles don’t kill people by accident.”  With that happy note he gazed down at the stone floor with a tear trailing down his cheek.  It seemed like that was all he had ever wanted to say from the beginning.  He just needed to vent.  It clicked in my head. This kid was attacked too, but how did he survive or why did he survive?  “I’m Jimmy.  I’m here because I killed an eagle that was terrorizing a go-karting place…and I turned into a lion.” I came clean with this kid only because it didn’t look like I was going to have many other people to talk to.  “So um this might be a stupid question, but is there any way out of here?” I had to ask it was killing me.  “Depends, if you can take out the guard that comes in to deliver food there’s a chance.  I’m thinking like 5% chance.  Only because he probably has a weapon on him now that you’re here.” 

            The only thing I could think of for the next half an hour was why did this happen to me?  I decided I was going to take my chances with the guard.  So I sat close to the door with my blindfold in hand ready to make my move.  It must’ve been at least four hours until the guard came to feed us.  I was ravenous with hunger by that point.  So when the door steadily was pushed open I was awaiting the guard and the food.  He took one step inside and he was wearing all dark loose clothing from head to toe.  He was also Asian and had strange what seemed like a form of bronze knuckles on his hands.  But instead of spikes on his knuckles copper and gold looking metal smoothly came down in a talon looking structure over each of his fingers. 

            Before he saw me I made me move. I jumped and slammed into his back.  I still held the blindfold in my hand so I wrapped it around his neck tightly in hope to choke him.  Big mistake.  The talons on his hands flashed up and raked my upper chest causing me to collapse on the ground in blinding pain.  Urgh now is the time where that good old lion could be helpful.  I wasted no time despite the pain in my chest. I rolled to my feet and we squared up.  He was only about two inches taller than me but I had no clue what his body structure was like due to his loose clothes.  We circled around each other looking for an opening.  Finally he grew impatient and struck.  He came down in a overhand slash so I grabbed his arm at the elbow and twisted it causing his body to bend forward.  Before his could escape my grip I came down on his elbow with my palm causing it to break under my will.  He kicked blindly from the pain causing me to fly back and fall to the floor.  We both quickly regained our footing and were back to the start.

            He looked pissed beyond belief.  The look on his face was like “dude you are gonna’ be so screwed” I guess I got distracted by that because he tackled me and I was on my back with tiny pointy fingers at my throat.  “See kid I think I might get promoted for tearing out your throat with my bare hands.  Heck Ama Agila might even make me his new right hand man.”  Man what freaking language do they keep talking in?  What a funny thought to die with well at least I’ll get the last laugh.  I closed my eyes ready to embrace death by my unknown enemy. 

            Suddenly a great force rolled me and I was freed from his grasp.  I looked to my left to see Dylan beating the surprised bully still handcuffed.  He was then punched off by a metal fist and our gentleman guard cursed at him for getting in the way of his prey.  A deep gash had now appeared on his upper temple.  It was a miracle he was still conscious.  No matter I thought soon he’d be right back on the ground.   I now approached him from his crippled side.  He looked hardly ready to fight.  I spun towards him and planted a roundhouse kick on his chest.  He collapsed to his knees where I jumped on his back and grabbed his head from behind.  Before I could hesitate to let the adrenaline stop flowing I twisted his neck snapping it.  I looked down at the now lifeless face mangled on the cell floor.  I turned and threw up unable to control myself.  What am I?

There we go chapter three.  A few people are reading this but lets get some more just tell one person to read it hopefully they’ll enjoy it if you are too.