Chapter 7

"Severus? What brings you here at this hour?" asked McGonagall, upon opening her door to find the Potions Master standing there. "Has one of my Gryffindors been caught wandering where they shouldn't be again? Or does it have to do with Mr. Potter, who I was just about to go searching for?"

"The latter, Minerva. Might I come in? I have things to discuss with you regarding the boy that I'd rather the whole House wasn't privy to."

She nodded and ushered him into her quarters. Her sitting room looked very homey, with plaid green and blue chairs and a sofa, a thick rug upon the stone floor, and several tapestries upon the walls. One was of her family coat of arms, the others were of Loch Ness, a beautiful Highland glen, and two kittens playing in an old Wellington amid a bunched up tartan. Severus knew a little of the McGonagall family history, enough to suspect that all the tapestries had been woven by her clan, for before they were known for magic, they had been magnificent weavers, and the Muggle side still was known for their outstanding designs and colorful dyes. There was a cheery fire crackling in the grate and a clock and two or three china sculptures on the mantle. A book, a plate of scones, and a cup of tea lay forgotten upon a small end table next to the sofa. The room was lit by several lamps high in the ceiling, they cast a warm glow over the room.

"Do sit down, Severus," Minerva invited. "Tea? Scones?" she offered, because it would be impolite not to.

"No, thank you," he responded.

Pleasantries out of the way, the Scottish witch got down to business. "Just what has Potter gotten himself into now?"

Severus told her about the impromptu duel, Harry's injuries, and the punishment he had handed out to both Draco and Harry. "I would have done more to Malfoy, but I figured I would save the rest of my lecture for tomorrow, when I would be more alert and able to give him the full benefit of my temper."

"I see. A little of that goes a long way, Severus." Then her eyes narrowed. "Not that Mr. Malfoy doesn't deserve it, harming Harry that way. And insulting Lily too."

"Very true. His parents have spoiled him and now we must reap what they have sown," Severus said with a grimace. "But I will not allow another James Potter to take root in my House. Malfoy will learn to obey the rules just like the rest of my snakes or else."

"Then you wouldn't mind if I took points for the boy's wicked tongue?" Minerva asked, quite angry at Draco's attack upon Harry, who had done nothing to deserve it.

Severus sighed. "Of course I would. But in this case it is justified."

"I shall take twenty then, for an even fifty."

Snape scowled angrily. "I tell you, Minerva, were I allowed, I would have put the brat over my knee and given him a good spanking."

"He's had precious little of that, I'd wager," sniffed the Transfiguration Mistress.

"Like another bully I could name," Severus said darkly, knowing full well Minerva would guess whom he was referring to.

Minerva pursed her lips and nodded. Then she said, "Severus, I recall you did spank a student in your House once for . . . tormenting one of your other Slytherin's familiar."

Severus coughed. "Yes, but that was . . . six years ago, and it was done with the full permission of the boy's parents. The school policy forbids corporal punishment unless the parent or guardian specifically demands it be given. Some of the pureblood families favor it and I have been given permission by some to use it if the situation warrants it. In Malfoy's case, I wish it had been." Severus scowled. "Speaking of bullies, I recently learned from Potter that Malfoy isn't the only bully he's had to deal with. Apparently his cousin is also allowed to bully him at home."