Chapter Eight- The Catalyst

The Fate of Aurora

Chapter 8 - The Catalyst

________________________

I had a routine. A rather mundane one, too. Wake, library, sleep – that’s excluding the everyday necessities, you know, bathroom breaks, food and washing. I hadn’t spoken to Adrian since the day I he told me I was a Witch and I hadn’t exactly wanted to, either. I didn’t dare try to escape again, truth be told, I didn’t even want to face Adrian’s Father again.

It was enough to deal with him wanting to torture me, but because of my hourly sessions in the private library, I have discovered that Adrian’s Father is, in fact, a King. Well, he’s The King. The King of their species, Vampires. And since Adrian’s Father is The King, that makes Adrian the Prince.

However, my boredom made for thorough reading skills and I had learned some things about myself, too- not big, wondrous things, but still things I didn’t know.

I knew for sure I was what Adrian said I was. But I had also learned of my Bloodline. The Black Bloodline.  How Witches came about is still unknown according to the book, however, how the Black Bloodline came around is not. It started with a woman called Siobhan, she was the first Witch to use Black Magic- I suppose in the 17th Century, it was called something different. Siobhan was consumed by the darkness of her powers, you see, it explains that the more she used her dark powers, the stronger it came and the more her body relied on it.

She practised and exercised it without even knowing, until one day- in a rage over something minute- she massacred an entire town, burning them to death.

She fled from the scene, and never looked back. Unexplained disappearances and deaths were found up and down the country, until it moved onto another country, and another. It was always rumoured to be her- I didn’t know if it was intentional or sloppy, but always leading up to a slaughtered town would be a few dead bodies here and there. She went missing thirty years later- until they found her body, burnt to crisp and dumped deep in the forest by a river.

It explains that through the years, she had multiple encounters with men, using them for one thing and one thing only. Dotted across the world are her children, or was, since it states none of them have been spotted since her death and that it’s a possibility that they have adjusted to a mortal life, hiding in plain sight, with humans, for Centuries.

*

“What do you want?”

Adrian hesitantly walked into the room, a tray in his hands. “Thought we could have a chat today, while you eat lunch?”

Peering at him from under my lashes, I rolled my eyes. “I don’t like people watching me eat,”

“Okay then, I won’t watch you…”

I sighed, walking over to the tray and taking the plate with the sandwich on. “What do you want to talk about?”

“I get how hard this must be for you, to you know, associate with the one person that put you in this position in the first place, but I need to discuss something serious with you. Please keep an open mind,”

“If I don’t will you drink my blood?” I asked smugly.

He sighed, “No,”

“Come on then, spit it out,”

Adrian sat on the chair by the dresser. He looked stressed, not that I cared.

“My Father wants to keep the human’s reproducing for blood supply,”

“Isn’t that what all Vampire’s want?” I asked confused.

“Well, yeah, but my Father has this idea that if he recruits enough of our species and places them in certain areas of the country, he can hoard and trap the human’s  within a limited area so they can be an on-going-”

“Blood source,” I finished. “But why does he need to do that? Can’t he just go out and get someone whenever he wants? Why does he need to trap them like..like sheep?!”

“He likes control. Plus, he’s always hates the human race. This plan of his has been in his head for a while now, at first I thought it was just a sick little faze of his, something for him to grin about but he’s serious. He’s already started calling meetings with the Council,”

Adrian was pacing the room now, hands clenched in fists by his side. “Why don’t you support his plan?” I asked curiously. “I mean, you’re a Vampire aren’t you?”

“Not all of us are sick fuck’s like him!” He boomed, his eyes darting to me. I froze.

“When we first met, you were vicious. Malicious, even. You…you scared me. And now, you’re acting like a goddamn hero! I don’t understand you,”

Sitting down, he looked me in the eyes. “When I smell blood, I become a different person. I become a cruel person. That day in the woods, the smell of blood was so strong, and I was meant to be hunting… You’re lucky it was your friend’s blood, otherwise who knows what would have happened,” The dangerous look in his eyes, along with the slight hint of horror put a shiver through my body. He moved his hand away, only then had I noticed our close proximity.

“I take after my Father, in that aspect,” He said quietly.

“Why did you tell me about your Father’s plans?”

“You’re a Witch. A Witch with Black Blood, to be précised- you have the power to stop him,” He whispered. “Before my Mother passed, my Father was a good man. He was kind, generous- but when he learned of her death, everything changed. He became bitter and wicked. His disdain for humanity turned into downright hatred. One night he disappeared, said he had a meeting with the Council, only the Council said they never saw him that night. When he came back home, three days later, he told me he had met a Witch,”

“Go on,” I urged.

“He described her as sultry, seductive. She was a dark Witch, and she was addicted to our blood. My Father’s blood is known to offer peace and a sense of euphoria amongst your kind. And it’s easy to get addicted. They made a deal, if she got to taste his blood, in return she’d let him drain half of her dark magic and claim it for himself-”

“What kind of bogus deal is that? Can that even work?”

“Well, when the Witch was streaming her powers, my Father bit her, putting her in a comatose state, and when my Father had taken all of her dark magic, he killed her. The only thing the Witche's black magic has done to him is make him crazy. He’s obsessed with his plan, he looks different, and he’s a monster.”