Chapter Two - Discretion of the Sacrifice

The Fate of Aurora

Chapter 2 - Discretion of the Sacrifice

________________________________ 

I felt the impact even before I could warn Caleb. I felt the air escape my body as Caleb’s old burgundy pick-up truck was thrown off the road, and tumbling down the steep ditch, causing it to crash through the entry of the forest. However, I never felt any pain, whatsoever. I didn’t know how long I had sat there- upside down might I add, taking in what had just happened. I could hear the groans of the truck as I managed to unbuckle my seat belt and shuffle my body to face where Caleb was. A whimper escaped me as I took in his mangled appearance. Shards of glass dug in his face, and his head was already starting to bruise. But the sight of the blood trickling down from each ear, and even his nose- confirmed my fear.

I didn’t want to believe that. So, I shuffled to the right, forcing open the dented door, and digging my fingers into the earthy ground- and ignoring the dull pain forming in my hands, I heaved myself out- a sob racking through me as I couldn’t get out fast enough. When I escaped the death trap, I made my way to Caleb’s side, dropping to my knees as suddenly every nerve had disappeared.

With all the force left in my body, I yanked open the truck door and leaned over Caleb to undo his seatbelt. I bit my tongue from letting another sign of weakness escape my body as the strong, metallic; scent of blood reached my nostrils and hit the back of my throat. I couldn’t pull Caleb out. I grabbed the shirt that resting on his shoulders again, scrunching it up in my fists and trying to pull him out but it was no use. My body ached, my heart broke and my hope was shrinking. And then, as if the situation wasn’t awful enough, the faint scent of gasoline filled my senses.

The scent was little, but it was still there. It hadn’t dawned on me that Caleb drove around with two bottles of gasoline in the trunk, in case of emergencies. I panicked. I heaved and heaved. I finally managed to get Caleb half way out of the truck, lying on his back whilst his legs were still in the truck. Due to the awkward situation of trying to get his legs out of the death trap, I broke down; pounding my fists on the dented door, the bonnet, the roof- anything I could take my anger out on. “Come on,” I sobbed, frustration lacing my voice. “Please, please, please…” I begged as I rested my forehead on his stomach- regardless of the blood drenching his shirt.

The smell of gasoline got stronger, and I knew it was only a matter of time before the truck exploded. But, my mission to save Caleb was far more important. I wouldn’t leave him, not now… not when he—

The air was gone for a second, before I was watching the scene from behind the trees- from a far distance. The truck exploded, just like I envisioned. But, I never envisioned Caleb being in the truck when it happened. I screamed, lurching forward towards my best friend. But I was being held back by two cold hands that wrapped around my arms and torso, restraining me. “Are you fucking stupid!?” Came a sharp, cold, voice- from behind me. “Stop fighting, he’s dead. He’s been dead for at least twenty minutes,”

My legs gave out underneath me as the scream escaped me once again, this time mixed with the sobs that I couldn’t control. I fought against the stranger, I thrashed, screamed, cried- but all I got in return was a sigh of annoyance and two sharp shooting pains in my neck- darkness.

*

When I came to, the memories came rushing back like a great tsunami- hitting me at once. The crash, the explosion, the stranger. “Finally,” I heard a female mutter. “Adrian, your human’s awake.” My mind reeled, the room a blur- all I could make out was the dusty lavender walls and the scent of Freesia’s. In a panic, I bolted up right, earning the biggest headache known to man. I groaned.