Chapter Three

AUTHOR'S NOTE UPDATED: I am currently working on other projects, one of which I am currently submitting to agents. I have finished this book, book one of an intended trilogy, BUT there are two important things to consider:

a) I have no immediate plans to complete this trilogy.

b) I wrote this a long time ago, and it is definitely, DEFINITELY not my best work.

But if, despite all that, you would like to read all of Color-Gifted--and that makes me very happy! : )--then read on : )

If you'd like to keep up-to-date with news of my journey to publication, you can always subscribe to my blog (you can find it on my profile) or follow me on Twitter, or just fan me here! And I'll be sure to let you know when I have news. In any case, thank you all for reading. Any comments and constructive criticism are very much appreciated. Hope you enjoy.

_____________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER THREE

            Tapengram University is imposing. That’s the first word that comes to mind as Christopher drives us through the high iron gates of the school, nodding to the guard as he passes. The words “TAPENGRAM UNIVERSITY” hang in an iron arch between two concrete pillars at the entrance. Before me, the school campus extends further than I can see, in every direction. Definitely not something you'd expect to be tucked away in The Middle of Nowhere, New Hampshire.

            I’m excited, like a little kid on Christmas day. I want to get out of the car as soon as possible and walk around. Get a feel of the place. I spot a huge parking lot to the left, practically full of cars. There are only about fifteen or so free spaces that I can see.

            “Do you mind if we park here, and walk the rest of the way?” I ask Christopher, eager to stretch my legs and even more eager to explore the place.

            He slows the car. “Actually, this is the only parking lot.” He flips on the turn signal. "Even though the grounds are extensive, we don't allow cars to go further than this, except for emergencies. As a Color-gifted, you'll soon find that physical exercise is just as important as any other aspect of your training.”

            Christopher turns left into the parking lot. He parks the silver sedan near the entrance, and then grabs the garbage bag at my feet. I jump out of the car and take a moment to stretch my muscles before shouldering my day bag, simultaneously pulling my duffel bag out from the backseat.

            “Which way?” I ask.

            “Follow me.” He nods in the direction we’re heading, the slight gray near his temples almost silvery in the sun. “I'll give you a little tour of the place as we go.” He drops the garbage bag into a small trash can attached to a light post.

            “Great.” I look around as we leave the parking lot. This place feels good. It’s right in the middle of the forest, far away from the noise and pollution of the city. Just the way I like it. Tall trees frame the main road; I can recognize beech and oak, among others. The smell of freshly cut grass reaches me, and I inhale deeply, a small smile on my face.

            Christopher points ahead of us and a bit to the right. “The houses are in the far back of the campus.”

            Houses. Not dorms. “Don't you mean dorms?” I ask.

            “No,” he smiles. “Tapengram University may be large as far as the campus goes, but the students have always been few, and each has a small cabin in the Housing Section. Nothing extravagant, but I think you'll like it.”