Chapter 5

Amanda was awoken by a phone ringing the next morning. Opening her eyes with a start, she noticed that the sun was extremely bright. Looking over at the clock, she noticed it was almost noon. Focusing on the words being yelled, she heard some of the conversation.

"How the fuck did they find her here?" Mark tried to yell as quietly as he could.

"What are we going to do?"

"Ok, we will have to figure something out. I can't let him find her."

"OK talk to you soon."

"Bye Dad" By then Amanda had tears streaming down her face. She grabbed her bag and started throwing her meager belongings back in. She had to keep running. If he had tracked her here to Cheyenne, it was only a matter of time before he found where she was staying.

A soft knock came to the door and Mark came in. He saw her bag on the bed and frowned.

"What are you doing?" He asked. He had a feeling she had heard the conversation.

"I can't stay here any longer. If he has already found me here. I have to keep going, I can't put you in danger. He will have no problem with destroying anything and anyone that came between me and him." She said, fearful of the punishment that was sure to come when he found her.

Mark grabbed her by the shoulders and spun her around. He pulled her into him tightly while the sobs wracked her body.

"He isn't going to get you. He isn't going to hurt me. You have the Sheriff on your side this time." Mark said reassuringly while rubbing small circles on her back.

"How did he find me?" She asked, the sobs getting quieter.

"Apparently, someone on the bus saw his plea for the public help. They fell for his lines, and called to say they think it was you get on the bus to Cheyenne." Mark replied. His voice full of anger and sadness.

"I tried to hide my face so I wouldn't be recognized." She cried.

"I know, but someone 'thought' they saw you. We can try to steer them in a different direction." Mark said hopeful.

"How can we do that?" She asked with hope evident in her voice.

"Right now it is just a reporter looking around. We are lucky that the Sheriff is aware of everything that goes on here. He can tell the reporter that no one matching that description has been seen in this town." He said with a grin.

"I hope it works." Amanda said.

"It also helps that you haven't been into town, and that the only people who know you are here are me and dad." He told her.

"Dad is going to go make himself known around town today, hoping to draw the reporter to him. You are going to stay here and out of sight until this whole mess blows over." Mark could see the fear in Amanda's eyes, and was torn between what he needed to do and what he wanted to do. He needed to go to work, but he wanted to stay here and comfort her.

"Do you know how to shoot a gun?" Mark asked. He could see Amanda's eyes widen momentarily before she shook her head in response.

"I am going to give you a quick lesson." Mark said as he went to get the bucket of empty beer cans from the kitchen. He took her hand and led her outside. He left Amanda where he wanted her to stand. He put her at far enough of a distance to make her have to aim, but close enough to where someone would be in the house. After lining the cans on the fence, he walked back to her. He un holstered his own personal 9 mm Glock handgun, he took the magazine out and un-chambered the round and handed it to her.