Chapter 4

Chapter 4

She yawned and stretched and found something heavy across her hip. At first she thought everything was a dream and she was back home with James. She slowly turned around and found herself staring at Mark's face. He really was handsome. His soft brown hair that was just a little too long,  strong cheek bones, he had a softer, calmer aura about him that was different than the anger that James had. She looked around the room and saw they were in Mark's bed.  She was trying to figure out why Mark was in the same bed as her.  He must have sensed her staring at him and knew what she would be thinking, because he answered her question without ever opening his eyes.

"You fell asleep on the couch. When I brought you in here you wouldn't let go of my shirt and were mumbling for me to just stay here and hold you. So that's what I did." He said as he opened his eyes slowly as if to gauge her reaction.

"Thank you." She said genuinely.

"Anytime Marie, anytime." He said honestly.

"What?"  She asked confused.

"Your name isn't Marie, it is?" He asked.

" No, I didn't know if I could trust you."

Mark was fully awake now. "So do you think you can trust me now?"  He asked

"Well, since you didn't kill me in my sleep, then yeah I think I can." She said with a small smile.

" So, what is your name?"

"Amanda"

"Well, nice to meet you, Amanda." He said as he held out his hand.

"Likewise, Mark." She said while shaking his head.

"Uggh" Mark groaned.

"What?" I asked questioningly

"I have to go into work for a few hours." He said sadly.

"That's ok, I have lots to keep me busy." She laughed.

"I like that sound." Mark said.

"What sound?"

"You laughing."

"I honestly, haven't laughed or smiled in about 2 years."

"I hope to change that."

"You already have. Thank you for making me laugh again."

"You are very welcome." Mark said as he looked at her like he wanted to say something else. She watched him and his eyes kept darting from her eyes to her lips, like he was asking for permission. Her tongue came out to wet her lips. He took it as a sign, and gently lowered his lips to hers. He waited to see if she would push him away, but when she didn't,  he started to move his lips against hers. One of his hands came to rest on the small of her back, the other moved to the back of her neck. Her hands and lips seemed to have a mind of their own. Her lips moved against his and her arms looped around his neck. A phone ringing brought them both back to reality.

"Ugghh" Mark said.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me."  She said embarrassed

"Don't be sorry. I liked it....a lot."

She blushed and excused herself to go take a shower while he answered his call.   When she came out, Mark was dressed and ready to leave for work.

"I didn't want to be gone when you came out of the shower." He came and held my face. "I meant it when I said, I liked the kiss and I would love if you gave me the chance to do it again." He said and looked into my eyes.