Chapter 3

Chapter 3

She sighed and took a deep breath.

"Well what do you think?" He asked nervously.

"I think we need to discuss some details." She gesturing to the table.

"What's on your mind?" 

"I don't want anything for free.  I want to earn what I get."

"I understand." 

"Good, so what is it you are offering?"

"As you can see, there is a lot that needs done.  This was my grandparents house.  Shortly after my grandma passed away, my grandpa fell and broke his hip. He went into a nursing home and never came home.  He passed away 3 months ago.  I just settled his estate last month, and haven't had time to do anything.  So they house has been sitting empty for just over a year; hence the pile of dust on everything and the overgrowth of weeds.  You definitely would have your work cut out for you."

"So cleaning up the house and yard?  What about cooking and laundry?"  She asked

"Are you ok with doing those?"

"Yeah." She replied honestly.

"So in return, you could either stay here or rent a room somewhere else.  Pay would be $400 a week.  Room is $100 a month."

"Are you serious?"  Her eyes widened at his numbers.  

"You think that's too much?  I am open to negotiations.  How is $75 a month?" 

"NO!!  Well, yes it is too much.  $200 a week pay and $400 a month for rent."

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!  You have to get on your feet at some point, and $400 a month isn't going to get you anywhere" He told her.

"I have no bills right now, so it would mostly all be for savings."

"$300 a week and $300 a month, and that's my final offer."

"Fine!" She replied stubbornly. 

"Are you hungry?" He asked.  He knew there wasn't much to eat, but there was at least sandwich makings.

"Actually, yes.  I haven't eaten since last night." She said, standing up to get started.

She opened the refrigerator to see a six pack of bud-light, a couple bottles of water, a jar of mayo, a couple slices of cheese, and a package of some type of deli meat.   Looking at the counter, she saw a loaf of bread. 

"Looks like sandwiches."  She said

"Sounds delicious."  He didn't want to tell her that has been his lunch and dinner for the last week.

"So what are your plans when you save up some more?"  He asked while taking a bite.

"I really don't know, I just took the first bus out of there, and it landed me here. As long as James doesn't find me I will stay here.  I think I am far enough away from New York that I should be safe for a little while at least."

"How much money do you have?" Mark asked. 

"Around $500, I think."

He was hoping she didn't think she needed to run anymore.  She wouldn't get very far on what little she had.

"Come on, I will give you a tour of the place."  He said when she pushed her plate away.

He was right, it wasn't as bad, but was pretty close. At least I would have something to do to stay busy.  The house itself was nice; it was 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms with an open living area.  I went to the bedroom that I would be staying in put what little belongings I had away.  I would have to have some more clothes, and some shampoo. I went to Mark to see if he had any shampoo I could use.