Chapter 1

Please vote and comment if you like, also point out mistakes if you see any...

Chapter 1

As soon as he heard about the accident, he had started packing by getting his stuff ready. Joshua was leaving on the first flight to Atlanta. His parents didn’t know about the incident yet, and he wasn’t sure how to break the news to them. It wasn’t like he could just walk out and say “Hey mom and dad; how are you? You’re good, yeah me too, by the way my brother is in a coma, but don’t worry, it’s all under control”

He laughed a little at his imagination, nothing was under control. His parents were getting old and they were in no condition to receive bad news. He ran the situation over and over in his head, but couldn’t come up with a solution. With a resigned sigh; he decided that he would think about it once he was facing his parents.

After checking once, then a second time, he realized that he couldn’t stall anymore. He had already bought a plane ticket to Atlanta. Sadly their next flight was at 10 pm, but that would have to do for now. He had also called the hospital one last time just to ask the same thing that he’d asked the first few times he’d called. “Please don’t’ worry about the expenses, just take care of him. Do anything necessary to keep my brother alive” he’d told them again.

No matter how Joshua put it, he still couldn’t believe that his brother was in a coma. At this point he didn’t care about much; he only hoped that his little brother made it out of this alive. He couldn’t lose him now; -NO- he wouldn’t lose him now. It had always been just the two of them from the beginning and it would be like that for a long time –if he had a choice in that-.

Joshua sat on the bed, his head resting on his palms while he reminisced about their younger days. Joshua was older than his brother, but even in the orphanage, Tristan was the one who looked after him. They weren’t actually brothers, they met at the orphanage when Joshua was just five years old and Tristan was three. After some of the older children of the orphanage had tried to take his racecar from him, Joshua had stood there and watched. He then promised to himself to watch over the younger boy, lest someone beat him to a pulp. He was only three but Tristan was the strongest little boy ever, he had punched the kid, grabbed his racecar and walked away as if it was a perfectly normal day.

At times it seemed as though he protected Joshua more than Joshua did him. One time the orphanage had found him a family, but Tristan refused to leave, not without Joshua. Joshua laughed at the memory of little Tristan, throwing a fit. It was so bad that the family had to reconsider adopting all together. This little three years old boy was so stubborn, it was the strangest of things.

Finally a few weeks before his fourth birthday, they had met a family who wanted to adopt both of them. They were a rich older couple, who didn’t have children and who decided to adopt a couple of kids. It worked out fine, since both Joshua and Tristan didn’t want to be separated and the couple wanted children who could get along. They’d been with them since then, that was twenty years ago.

It wasn’t always rainbows and unicorns, of course they fought, had bad days, but nothing they didn’t solve within minutes. Joshua was now twenty five with his own thriving business and his brother was twenty three. Tristan had moved to Atlanta a year ago because unlike Joshua he was adventurous.

Just yesterday Tristan was talking about coming home, because he had something to tell them. Although they didn’t agree on a date, Joshua somehow knew it would have been soon. Now, sadly they would probably never know what he wanted to tell them, what Tristan had been so excited about.

Something cold ran down his cheeks, Joshua didn’t even realize that he was crying. He angrily wiped at the tears and stood up. He’d made up his mind; he was going to tell his parents about what happened. Leaving the sanctuary that he called his room, he went down the stairs to the living room where his parents were probably enjoying tea while watching TV.